French Provencial Style Apron Videos

Mark Muhr

Hey all I've been shooting some "how to" videos to post to YouTube showing how I go about roughing in and carving an apron for a French Provincial style piece of furniture. I just the third one uploaded and the fourth one is on it's way. Here's a link to the play list if you want to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E29C497A8B12BB0&feature=plcp

And here's the latest video in the series:

Anyway, let me know what you think, other than that I need a teleprompter. :p Constructive criticism and questions are definitely welcome. Thanks for looking!

Mark, thanks for uploading the video. It seems that you were a little nervous in the beginning or maybe it was due to the allergies. I didn't enjoy the first 5 minutes when you were talking about setting up the bit etc but you had my full attention afterwards.

It seems that you were a little nervous in the beginning or maybe it was due to the allergies.

I've been so hopped up on Albuterol lately that I'm surprised I wasn't bouncing around. :p My allergies have actually been causing asthma symptoms and the medicine really gets me wired. I didn't realize how much it affected me until I watched the video, but I definitely see what you're talking about. It's hard knowing what all to include in a video, so I try not to assume everybody knows everything, but I don't want to spend too much time on the elementary stuff. Anyway, thanks for watching and commenting. I've got video 4 uploading and video 5 will actually be getting into the fun hand work that really makes the piece. :)

Last edited:
Interesting use of a grinder to remove wood quickly.

BTW, I am a novice when it comes to router use. Still, I like youtube videos short and to the point. If I want to see bit setup then I try and find a video on just that. Though, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate you taking the time to shoot and upload the videos.:thumb:

Interesting use of a grinder to remove wood quickly.

BTW, I am a novice when it comes to router use. Still, I like youtube videos short and to the point. If I want to see bit setup then I try and find a video on just that. Though, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate you taking the time to shoot and upload the videos.:thumb:

No worries, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm new to this video thing. I like doing it, but I'm really just a woodworker shooting videos. :huh: It's always a trade off and I wonder how much to include. I also want to keep my videos a little bit "raw". I don't want it to appear scripted and I want the viewer to really see the process so they really know what to expect when they step into the project. I don't like a 30 second blurb of "this is how I do the first four inches" then a cut to the finished project, but at the same time I don't want there to be ten minutes of solid machine noise. I'll keep working at it. :thumb:

The grinder is a great way to do rough shaping and really shines at scooping out chair seats.

The grinder is a great way to do rough shaping and really shines at scooping out chair seats.

I also use a grinder with a kutzall disk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSawzlePW0E

That I got from Lee Valley a number of years back:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=33253&cat=1,130,43409,43424&ap=1

for roughing work.

I'm living breathing evidence that using these with the guard off is a bad idea. My old grinder wasn't able to support the disk size with the guard in place (should have been hint #1, 4.5" disk on a 4" grinder was just stupid) so I've been using it for years with the guard off... and of course no problems until yesterday.

Still not sure what happened (momentary lapse of reason) but it took a big chunk out of one finger and chewed the heck out the of top of another right behind the nail (for about 1/2" back). For a minute there I wasn't sure if I still HAD a finger :eek: Looked worse initially than it actually is though, just hard to tell through all that blood :D

So, I'm now shopping for a larger more capable grinder that I can use the disk with the guard in place!!!

I'm living breathing evidence that using these with the guard off is a bad idea. My old grinder wasn't able to support the disk size with the guard in place (should have been hint #1, 4.5" disk on a 4" grinder was just stupid) so I've been using it for years with the guard off... and of course no problems until yesterday.

Still not sure what happened (momentary lapse of reason) but it took a big chunk out of one finger and chewed the heck out the of top of another right behind the nail (for about 1/2" back). For a minute there I wasn't sure if I still HAD a finger :eek: Looked worse initially than it actually is though, just hard to tell through all that blood :D

So, I'm now shopping for a larger more capable grinder that I can use the disk with the guard in place!!!

OUCH! I'm sorry to hear about that. Yeah, the guard is off mine because it came loose and would actually rotate/orbit around the wheel when I'm running the grinder. It was doing no good, and actually caused some danger issues of it's own so I took it off. I've been comfortable without it but...I'm thinking I should come up with something on my own. And that would make a decent short video. So thanks for pushing safety and for a video idea. :thumb:

OUCH! I'm sorry to hear about that. Yeah, the guard is off mine because it came loose and would actually rotate/orbit around the wheel when I'm running the grinder. It was doing no good, and actually caused some danger issues of it's own so I took it off. I've been comfortable without it but...I'm thinking I should come up with something on my own. And that would make a decent short video. So thanks for pushing safety and for a video idea. :thumb:

A loose guard is no good either :eek: I'm basically looking to replace/augment my grinder with a new one (the old one works fine with 4" cutoff disks - the guard fits over those..) - I started a new thread over in "New Tools", if you have a suggestion would be grateful for follow up (if only on what to not get - I don't want the guard falling off after a couple months use :D).

The timing was just a little surprising. I've been ~mostly injury free for years (besides slivers, minor abrasions, etc..) and wouldn't you know I got to be the lesson learned right when you posted your video :rofl:

Having said all that it is an awesome way to hog off a lot of curved material fast (sometimes a little ... to fast, at least with the kutzall). It looks like you're using a flex cut disk of some sort?

Having said all that it is an awesome way to hog off a lot of curved material fast (sometimes a little ... to fast, at least with the kutzall). It looks like you're using a flex cut disk of some sort?

Yeah, it's just a flexible plastic backer disk with a 40 sandpaper disk from Klingspor on it. I used to just use flap disks, but they clog up really badly on wood. I like the Kutsall though. I'm always running out of sanding disks at bad times and I like the idea of something that doesn't wear out. It would pay for itself on one set of chairs even in just saving time with switching out worn out disks. As for grinders, I really like the one I have other than the guard issue. I suggest going with trigger rather than a switch and one with a more extended handle. It moves your back hand much further from the blade. My old boss had a Milwaukee that I liked a lot. Mine's a Bleak and Darker but the same grinder is now being sold with grey plastic as a Porter Cable.