Spindle Sander

Stuart Ablett

Benchtop and oscillating would be best I guess.

OK I have no room in my Dungeon for a stand alone machine, I think I can shoehorn in a benchtop model.

Please read this next part carefully...

I need it this week
I'll be ordering from Amazon.com as I can't find one here in Japan
Did I say I need it this week?

I have a spindle sander set up for my drill press, but it is less than impressive, better than nothing, yeah..... just.

On these Chinese chairs I have 32 seat aprons with two radiuses each, plus 16 back slats with 4 radiuses each, that is 128 radius that I need to sand, yeah I want a spindle sander. I'll cut the radius with the bandsaw and then sand to the line.

I have a few choices on Amazon;

81tAI0zRptL._SL1500_.jpg
Shop Fox W1831 1/2 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander

$167.32

811FeB8mmmL._SL1500_.jpg
POWERTEC OS1400 14" Oscillating Spindle Sander

$129.99

powertec_OS1000_.jpg
POWERTEC OS1000 18" Oscillating Spindle Sander (link won'T work)

$239.99

61H0GN9BAXL._SL1000_.jpg
Grizzly G0723 Benchtop Oscillating Sander

$282.33

These two also look like the same machine.

613-51avV8L._SL1000_.jpg
Grizzly G0538 1/3 HP Oscillating Spindle Sander

$235.22

61pMv2wq6mL._SL1000_.jpg
Delta Woodworking 31-483 Heavy-Duty Oscillating Bench Spindle Sander, 1/2-HP

$379.00
larger unit

71SOQRbLw0L._SL1350_.jpg
DELTA SA350K Shopmaster Boss

$299.99
NOT oscillating

OK that is about it, personally I'm thinking of the Powertec OS1000 18" unit, looks just like the Grizzly but it's cheaper.

Now you guys will love this, the sander will cost me about 31,000 yen but the shipping will be 38,000 yen, so about $750 total.

The ShopFox unit will cost me about 22,000 yen and the shipping will be 20,000 yen so about $450.

Now for what I need, an occasional use, will the ShopFox do it?

Would love to hear from anyone who has this kind of benchtop spindle sander.

I cannot find the Ridgid to ship to Japan.

Attachments

• 910pEfGhh0L._SL1500_.jpg
    910pEfGhh0L._SL1500_.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 7
I've not used the Shop Fox sander, but have been more than happy with my Shop Fox bandsaw (14", similar to, but an upgrade from the Griz G0555) and my Shop Fox 3/4 HP mortising machine.

The Delta 31-483 looks like a clone of the Jet, or the General International sanders. I have the General International version, and it's been a really useful tool. Plenty of power, and the table tilts. Most of the others have a fixed table, so angle sanding is hard to do on them. I had a Delta BOSS for a while, but got rid of it because of the fixed table.

The 32-483 is pretty heavy compared to the others, though, so that might be a disadvantage in your small shop, where you'd be moving it around every time you want to use it.

The Delta 31-483 looks like a clone of the Jet, or the General International sanders. I have the General International version, and it's been a really useful tool. Plenty of power, and the table tilts. Most of the others have a fixed table, so angle sanding is hard to do on them. I had a Delta BOSS for a while, but got rid of it because of the fixed table.

The 32-483 is pretty heavy compared to the others, though, so that might be a disadvantage in your small shop, where you'd be moving it around every time you want to use it.

The larger Delta is tempting, and the tilt table sounds like a good idea, but the size and weight, yeah, add to that with shipping it would be well over $1000....

I have had a couple different oscillating spindles sanders; both with tilting tables. I didn't sand angles very often but, the tables being adjustable allowed me to assure a 90* table to spindle adjustment. Spindle speed is a consideration for sanding to the line, a slower speed works better for me. That being said, a slow oscillation stroke interval makes sanding to the line more difficult IF the spindle stroke is not as long as your work height. For your chairs I don't think this is an issue.

Beyond that, the trade off in power to weight is a strong consideration for you. A sander has to have the power to allow the abrasive to do the work whether it is a spindle, edge, disc or ROS. My only complaint about the Ridgid was a wish for a little more oomph BUT, this can be true of many machines based on the operation or repetitions of that operation ;-) I am sure a spindle sander is the right choice for the project though, of that I have no doubt. Sorry for the high cost of getting items to your location ;-(

Last edited:
I've not used the Shop Fox sander, but have been more than happy with my Shop Fox bandsaw (14", similar to, but an upgrade from the Griz G0555) and my Shop Fox 3/4 HP mortising machine.

yeah I have heard lots of guys liking their Shop Fox tools, some of the other brands I've never even heard of.

Except for the color, the Shop Fox model looks identical to my Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) model. I've been very happy with it.

Well that is what I did, I went with the Shop Fox unit, cost me $380 with two additional sets of sanding sleeves and shipping, should be here by Thursday :D

Thanks guys!

I have had a couple different ones; both with tilting tables. I didn't sand angles very often but, the tables being adjustable allowed me to assure a 90* table to spindle adjustment. Spindle speed is a consideration and for sanding to the line, a slower speed works better for me. That being said, a slow oscillation stroke interval makes sanding to the line more difficult as you don't get a nice flow of feed motion going. Beyond that, the trade off in power to weight is a strong consideration for you. A sander has to have the power to allow the abrasive to do the work whether it is a spindle, edge, disc or ROS. My only complaint about the Ridgid was a wish for a little more oomph BUT, this can be true of many machines based on the operation or repetitions of that operation ;-)

Good info Glenn, thanks.

The Ridgid was my first choice, but I can hardly find it for sale anywhere online and no where would ship to Japan.

Cheers!

You have already made your decision, so this is just for general info. Although I have had the Delta Boss for over ten years and it does a good job when I need it, I would not buy another Boss. My choice would be a heavier unit with a more powerful motor, a tilting table and a longer stroke that allows full use of the sanding sleeve.

I've been looking for one for a little while and the Delta Shopmaster Boss always seems to get the best reviews.

I think it was one of the first ones on the market, so it certainly has the most reviews :)

You have already made your decision, so this is just for general info. Although I have had the Delta Boss for over ten years and it does a good job when I need it, I would not buy another Boss. My choice would be a heavier unit with a more powerful motor, a tilting table and a longer stroke that allows full use of the sanding sleeve.

Good info Ted, but like I said, I think it would take up too much space in my very FULL shop, and for that kind of money, (over $1000 shipped to Japan) I certainly like to add a drum sander to my collection..... ;)

Cheers!

I looked at the rest purchased a Jet.

I've not seen a spindle sander the would allow to use the full length of the sleeve.

You could make some plywood pieces to fit over the spindle so the you could use just over 1/2 of the height of the sleeve & then end for end the sleeve & use the other 1/2 of the sleeve.

You could make some plywood pieces to fit over the spindle so the you could use just over 1/2 of the height of the sleeve & then end for end the sleeve & use the other 1/2 of the sleeve.

That's what I did. I used some scrap from an old TV cabinet I broke down.

Spidle Risers (2).jpgSpidle Risers (3).jpgSpidle Risers (4).jpgSpidle Risers (7).jpgDisk sander guard (2).jpg

the bottom layer centers on the table with guide pins. The remaining layers all lock onto each other with similar pins/holes. I just add or remove what I need.