Good way to end 2014

Got the next couple days off. Guess the company can't afford to pay us anymore :D. Did some running and loafing, stopped by the hardwood dealer and picked up some material. Not sure of the board feet I got, I always pay cash and ask for X amount worth. Seems to work in my favor better. Got $100 of soft maple 4/4, $20 of soft maple 8/4. I ask if they still had any curly Cherry left and he said he had been sitting it back for me. Picked up $50 of that. While there he ask if I wanted some junk boards as well. Got 3- 9-0 4/4 curly maple about 6" wide because the Amish don't want them and 2- 14-0 red oak that are 12" wide because they have mineral stains in them. I like the look of it so cool. So all in all, I dropped $170 for what is in the truck. Sorry for the bad pic, sun was making it rough and wanted to get it unloaded.

Now to go chill and watch Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy

2014-12-31 13.09.30.jpg

Or is it the curl? Friend of mine is a log buyer/seller. He also grades lumber. He said a lot of people in the "business" considers curl a defect:eek:. He usually culls the curly maple and buys the logs for himself.

And by the way Steve, that's a nice load of lumber!

Killer haul! I need to find me an Amish lumber dealer. Might as well search for a Unicorn while I'm at it.

you don't pick your own boards there steve?

Sure don't Allen, they are setup for bigger shop type purchases. Think they even supply a small factory or two. Most of those places order a bunk or two at a time. They straight edge one side and quick surface plan as board for them. As they look at each piece, if it is a real special piece they set it off. I am about the only small buyer they have so I get the cull's :thumb: If a board has a really bad spot I end up with those too. If a piece too wide, they don't want it as it creates waste for a factory environment. Basically I get the good stuff that a woodworker would want.

I don't think most of the larger lumber yards want someone picking and flipping through every board.
They buy a containter full or pallet full at a time, they don't pick and choose.
My lumber yard doesn't seem thrilled I flip through each board, but they don't stop me.
All the wood in my lumber yard is pre planed and straight edged. I haven't come across anything very rough yet.

My supplier charges more for selecting your own pieces, though I've done before after telling him why, and he didn't charge me extra. I will usually buy at least 100 bdft each time too, which helps.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I don't buy a lot of lumber in board form, but my supplier specializes in specialty woods... they'll actually help you look through their supply until you find what you want and even cut off a length if you only want part of a board... they also have turning blocks and blanks.... it's like a trip to a candy store to go through their warehouse.