Errors of old age and habits

Paul Downes

I have found that as I age I make mistakes that I used to never make. I work on the neighbors farm feeding dairy cows average 2-3 days per week. We use a payloader to load the feed wagon and one of the perks is having that type of equipment around when I need it. Like moving the snow out of the driveway. Well, the neighbor asked me to take 3 large trees out of his fields. This was great because a friend of mine asked the same day to find him some hickory logs to saw into flooring. Two of the trees are hickory. I dropped one of them and got 3 logs out of it. So I bring the payloader out to the field and chain up the largest log thinking that it might fit into my pickup. I guessed it at 14 ft. so I thought it might fit in the truck. So I get it up and swing it over the box and promptly tilt the forks instead of lowering the forks. The issue is that when I approach the feed wagon I always tilt the bucket. Done it a 1000 times. Wrong move on putting a log in the truck. The chain slid off the forks before I realized what I was doing and kind of destroyed one side of the truck box. :(

It is an old 4x4 Dodge woods truck. I almost junked it a few weeks ago. Instead I put $420 into a tuneup and wheel bearings and was happy it was still going down the road. The log sits next to the barn because when I did put it into the truck it proved way too heavy.

I used to pride myself with my safety consciousness and care with rigging and moving heavy things. Nothing like humility. :D I wonder when my kids will take away my drivers license?

I was doing some stuff with my bobcat the other day. Working a little close to the trailer and I managed to crunch the passenger side lights right out of existence.

Can't compare to your experience.

Sure would have been nice to have had a video though... :D

So, I'm pretty sure the first word you said was 'Oh', quickly followed by something that the CoC doesn't allow?

I knew the log was heavy, but a guy has to see if the truck will take it. Too lazy to go get the trailer. When I dropped a smaller 8 ft. log off at the mill he had a 20 ft. x 3ft.+ diameter log (white oak) on the mill lift. Said he has to drag it away because the lifters couldn't lift it onto the saw bed, and his tractor can't pick it up. Wish I had a swing mill. Had my truck in the woods for years and only put a small dent in it. Fixed a rear window last week after my son tossed a block through it.