Hand-stitched rasps

Wow ......what brand name are they sold under?

Welcome to the family. Maybe you can educate me on the rasp in general. How to use efficiently, how to clean, how to keep it sharp. How to choose the right one for the job.
Thanks for showing us the video.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wow ......what brand name are they sold under?

Welcome to the family. Maybe you can educate me on the rasp in general. How to use efficiently, how to clean, how to keep it sharp. How to choose the right one for the job.
Thanks for showing us the video.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Hello Rob,

That's a lot of questions at once ! Answering properly to all of them would take quite some pages, but to make it short :
- the brand name is simply Liogier
- to clean a rasp, use simply a hard brush, but never acids as many people recommend
- to keep it sharp : be carefull when you store it, just like you would do with any blades (the teeth on a rasp are as sharp as blades, so you can see a raps like many (between 2,000 and 10,000 depending on the model) blades) make sure it cannot be hurted by other tools.
- how to choose the right one : if it is your first Liogier rasp, pick out a Cabinet Markers 10'', grain #9 since it is a very multipurpose tool. If you have a specific task in mind, let me know and I'll try to advise you the best I can.

what is the comparison of your currency to ours in the usa.. i saw one price of a 40.00 franks i think was the currnecy on your site.. so what is 40 ?? in france to a us dollar?

what is the comparison of your currency to ours in the usa.. i saw one price of a 40.00 franks i think was the currnecy on your site.. so what is 40 ?? in france to a us dollar?

It's 40 euros. To convert euros to us dollar, you have to multiply by 1,35. So in your example, it is $54.

hey noel,, explain to me the differnt finishes of your rasps.. i saw you had a saphire and another one other than just a steel one.. are they to make cleaning easier???

hey noel,, explain to me the differnt finishes of your rasps.. i saw you had a saphire and another one other than just a steel one.. are they to make cleaning easier???

Rather than making cleaning easier, they should need less cleaning. Their surface helps (amongst other advantages) the rasps not to clog or block, which is quite important for the comfort of use and for the smoothness of the obtained surface.

The other main advantages is to prevent rust, to last longer, to have more cutting power.

On this last point, I just sent a couple of Sapphire rasps to an Australian plane maker that is using local species of wood being known as amongst the harderst of the world. Let's wait for the verdict. But in the meantime I can tell you that some European sculptors have been using them with great pleasure on synthetic material harder than wood.

For those of you interested about hand-tools, I've just put online a small glossary, a FAQs page and a blog about hand-stitched rasps.

PS : I would be grateful if someone reading this pages would tell me all my english mistakes.