Job Search Tips...Just my experience

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Job Loss...it just bites.

I know I was pretty much in shock the first few days (weeks according to my wife). I took some time to get my ducks in a row and know what my options were. I was let go with about 700 others and my former employer had contracted Right Management to do some counseling classes to help us get re-acquainted with the whole interviewing process. Things had changed dramatically in the past 12 years since I last looked for a job.

Luckily I had worked with our HR folks with implementing several of their job search/management tools, so I had some clue as to what I was up against. One major thing that had change was the "filtering" process. HR recruiters no longer read each resume coming in. They simply do a keyword search for the terms that they are looking for...very Google like. Keywords like iSeries, PHP, Java, Blackberry, etc. were the only words that they had to see for me to get noticed. The fact that I have no degree, just experience working with certain products or languages, these were the only qualifications I needed. Suddenly my webmaster skills of web page promotion became a very valuable asset to my job search.

Today's recruiters are, as with any other corporate department, utilizing the tools that their budgets afford them. Luckily there are many widely used and popular job search tools available that are free to use...and they use them too.

LinkedIn - is one of the most utilized tools for job search and leads...it's free to use, but some companies do pay to do the advanced searches. I found my latest job through LinkedIn.

At first I added many of the co-workers that had gotten laid off with me as contacts. I had all kinds of recruiters requesting to be one of my contacts. At first I denied them, I felt they were just probably just trying to see who my contacts were. After some thought, I realized that one of these recruiters could be looking for someone with just the right qualifications that happen to know...why deny my friends of the opportunity. So I started letting these folks in, which happened to be how I was contacted as well for the job I have today. It's about networking...either use it or you may be passing something good up.

Career Builder - is another great tool for job searches. It allows you to create multiple resumes that can be tailored to the jobs that you are applying for, which you should do. The site allows you to setup keyword searches of your own and receive notifications when new jobs matching your search become available to post for.

Resumes - They changed a lot in the 12 years since I last looked. Used to be that you were to keep to one page. Now they afford you the opportunity to do a better layout and larger font (12pt.) to make them easier to scan. Start with a quick summary, List bullet points of your areas of expertise, then list your work history. Work history should contain Accomplishments and brief descriptions of what expertise was used to achieve the accomplishment, very important to answer the what and how of each accomplishment.

Be sure to use job posting descriptions to tailor the resume that you submit for each job, there really isn't a catch-all resume. The list of keywords that are in the job description need to be in your resume. I'm not saying to lie about anything, most recruiters don't know the technical aspects of a job, they are just looking for the matching keywords to select resumes to begin their search. Sometimes you have to just get your foot in the door and make a good impression. That right impression can take you a long way.

One other note, there are different types of resumes. If you're an educator or executive, you may have one that is much more in depth, but this is one of the basic styles

Your info on LinkedIn may have to be updated or tweaked to match much of the same info you're providing in the submitted resumes. Consistency is key with recruiters, everything needs to mesh or they won't get warm and fuzzy about you.

Social Networking - Companies today are even asking for if you have a website or a facebook page. Warning...The recruiters will check out these pages just to see what you've been up to on your personal time. This is great if you haven't posted recent pictures of you puking at your buddies bachelor party the night before the interview...know someone that got bit by this. So be careful also what info you provide if it's not something you would normally share with them.

This information is mostly of my opinion, observations, and such...so take it for what it's worth...but all my sleep deprived brain can muster tonight otherwise probably could rant on a lot longer. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or want more ranting. :wave:

Last edited:
Great tips. Especially on the key word search :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Been thinking about starting my own business since the construction supply business is so bad and no one is looking to hire a 61 year old balding fat guy.:(

Thanks for the write-up, Darren. Very good tips, especially with your insights into the HR search game. :thumb:

...no one is looking to hire a 61 year old balding fat guy.:(

It's not looking real good for a skinny long-haired guy in his mid 50s, either. :rolleyes:

Well, I wish no one had to use that info, but glad it may prove useful.

One thing that was stated in the counseling sessions was age. Don't let your age affect the attitude of finding a position. You've got experience to offer and experience can sell itself.

One other thing I found in my search is that a lot of companies will use contract help and then hire direct if the person works out. A lot of the folks that got laid off at the same time as me refuse to search through a recruiting company or consider contract jobs. I know several folks that went the same route as me, in taking a contract position, and have been hired on at very notable companies.

Like I said, it's just my experience with them, but doesn't hurt to check them out.

I've got some additional material that I'll post later for searching and marketing. There are some alternative routes for those that maybe want to start their own business or franchise. I have a friend that is working with a woman that counsels people that are looking to get into franchising and finding something that they think will work for them. Mostly she helps them decide what their goals are, then recommends franchises that fit those goals and budget (I need to call him anyway...so will let you know how it's working for him). Last we spoke, she had set him up to do short internships at various franchised so that he could see the day to day operations. Not for everyone, but an interesting route.

well darren i would like to think our age doesnt hurt us but there are many places that it does, the health risk and the added premiums for there existing plans can deter smaller companies. and then enter in the age thing of being set in our ways and the kids arent doing it right..what about the not being ignorant to what is right and what isnt..that too comes with age and in my case the smaller companies dont like wisdom just shut up and do it and say yes sir..how high sir.

i do understand that larger companies look differently than smaller ones,, they have better plans and more areas to spread it out over. but even some of the bigger companies are taking away the pensions for any new hires.. and the pay rates are differnt as well..can be doing the same identical job and gettin considerable less pay. so us older folks do need to look at everything and not just jump on the first one to say, yes i will hire you.

Great tips Darren. Really shows how things change over time.

I remember my past job searches consisted of mass mailings of 'customized' cover letters, resumes, all printed on high quality paper. Every detail of every paragraph scrutinized for typos, grammar, and readability.

The last job I got didn't require anything more than some folks asked me if I wanted to work for them and I said yes.

Did you actually send out hard copy resumes? Or was this all electronic in this day and age?

Great tips Darren. Really shows how things change over time.

The last job I got didn't require anything more than some folks asked me if I wanted to work for them and I said yes.

I thought they only asked you if you liked beer. Oh wait, that's what you asked of an employee that eventually worked for me (we work for the same company) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But great tips. I used to throw out resumes of kids that had 5 pages for only 2 years of work...maybe they were ahead of their time.

well darren i would like to think our age doesnt hurt us but there are many places that it does, the health risk and the added premiums for there existing plans can deter smaller companies. and then enter in the age thing of being set in our ways and the kids arent doing it right..what about the not being ignorant to what is right and what isnt..that too comes with age and in my case the smaller companies dont like wisdom just shut up and do it and say yes sir..how high sir.

i do understand that larger companies look differently than smaller ones,, they have better plans and more areas to spread it out over. but even some of the bigger companies are taking away the pensions for any new hires.. and the pay rates are differnt as well..can be doing the same identical job and gettin considerable less pay. so us older folks do need to look at everything and not just jump on the first one to say, yes i will hire you.

Sadly, those are valid points Larry, but I'd hope that not every company is like that. Unfortunately we can't change the operating mentalities or budget constraints of a company. I'm just saying to focus on the positives and sell the things you have to offer that a younger person can't.

Did you actually send out hard copy resumes? Or was this all electronic in this day and age?

I didn't, mostly emailed PDF versions of my resume, no cover letters. We were told in the counseling that it doesn't hurt to have the cover letter, but the same information is usually in the summary of the resume.

If mailing, do include a cover letter, however a lot of companies have on-line applications and will ask you to fill out the application. There's usually a place to attach or copy/paste your resume. You may have to do some adjustments if you have to copy/paste as the formatting doesn't always carry over nicely. When you get it formatted nicely in one of these applications, it might be a good idea to copy/paste it into a document for you to save on your computer so you don't have to do the formatting over and over again for other apps.

One thing I didn't mention was references. I was mostly asked for references from former employers, managers, or supervisors. They threw out any that were co-employees. Most of you know this, but going to state the obvious...having a prepared list of references and their contact info available doesn't hurt, it shows that you're prepared.

During interviews, the 'catch' question I believe I never answered to the satisfaction of the interviewer was "What is your biggest weakness?"
As for resumes, good tips. It seems the proper format for resumes is a lot like the query letters writers send to agents and editors. How they are written seems to carry more weight than the quality of the book in question. It is a tough, and not always fair, world out there.
Good luck.