Keeping Peace

Bill Arnold

Staff member
One of the things my wife has wanted for a long time is pull-out storage (drawers) in the lower cabinets in our kitchen. I've completed most of them -- 13 so far with four to go. The photos below give you an idea of the result.

I used 1/2" birch plywood trimmed with red oak. All drawers (except one) are 5" tall including the oak trim. The exception is one that I made for things like baking sheets, etc., that is the full height of the cabinet interior. The fronts and sides are joined with half-blind dovetails. Backs and sides are joined with lock rabbets.

Bottoms are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" plywood, depending on the type of stuff going in them. In each case, I cut the typical 1/4" dado a tad over 1/4" from the bottom edge. All but the 1/4" ply was rabbeted to fit the dado.

I get to take the weekend off from this project, but I'm sure I'll be kept busy! ;)

To say the least, LOML is very happy with her drawers now! :thumb:

Attachments

• KitDwrs01s.jpg
    KitDwrs01s.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 47
  • KitDwrs02s.jpg
    KitDwrs02s.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 57
  • KitDwrs03s.jpg
    KitDwrs03s.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 60
Nice work Bill! Could you post a pic of the glides you used? I'd be interested in doing a couple of these for my MIL's kitchen.

Thanks
Thanks, Darren.

I used Euro slides -- typical for kitchen and bathroom drawers. They aren't full extension, of course, but it beats crawling around on the floor looking for something in the back of the cabinet.

The slides I got for this project came from a supplier I've used in Florida. I've also purchased both Euro and ball-bearing slides at a good price from Woodworker.com.

Ah...simple enough...I guess I'm curious how you attached the supports they are on within the cabinets? I see a glimpse of them from the second pic.
OK, here ya go! Photos of the slide mounts I used on the cabinets. I used a piece of clear pine cut to 1.5" by .75" by 22" long. I added pieces of 1/2" ply to space the assembly up to clear the face frame.

The shelf in these cabinets is fixed in position. In this case, I used a piece of pine 1.5" by .75" by 22" long with a narrow piece of 3/4" pine butted to it and attached with glue and brads.

In the locations where two drawers are adjacent, I simply attached two slide mounts to common bases.

All assemblies are attached to the cabinet with #8 by 1.25" square-drive screws.

Attachments

• KdSlideMnt1.jpg
    KdSlideMnt1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 25
  • KdSlideMnt2.jpg
    KdSlideMnt2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 25
  • KdSlideMnt3.jpg
    KdSlideMnt3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 23
  • KdSlideMnt4.jpg
    KdSlideMnt4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Those look great. I did up LOML's pantry with pullouts and ended up having to do her mom's kitchen as a Christmas gift. Hmmm, how come my house doesn't have any of those helpful little pullouts yet? Everyone else I know seems to get them :rofl:.