Procrastinating

Don Baer

Staff member
I was given a reminder this week end about the the danger of putting off till tomorrow what needs to be done today. Yesterday I received a call from a friend of mine's wife who I know from church. She told me that her husband was in the hospital ready to have surgery. It turn out he had a very very severely impacted tooth that should have been pulled months ago. He put it off way to long. To further complicate things he is a diabetic and his blood sugar was way over 400. They did the surgery and he may loose some of the feeling in his jaw as well ad need to do jaw exercises. He will spend at least1 more day in the hospital. This is an educated man who has a college degree but he did not feel they could afford the trip to the dentist since they don't have dental insurance. The long and the short of it is don't put off what need to be done. It certainly motivated me I went out this morning in the 90 degree heat fora 2 mile walk to kick start my exercise program that I have been putting off. So what have you been procrastinating about.

I procrastinate about woodworking projects a lot, and about other things I procrastinate about procrastinating. Not with my health, though. I just came back this morning from getting a clean bill from and ophthalmologist over a temporary loss of vision I suffered a few weeks ago (lost the focus in my right eye for about 6 hours.) The fact that I have government health care means I don't have to procrastinate, but I still know a lot of people who do.

Your health is too important to mess with. If that coffee table doesn't get finished on time, you'll live, but you can't say the same if you're putting off seeing the doctor.

I stopped procrastinating today and finally got my standing desk at the right height. 42" seems to work pretty well. So far, so good. Monitor is a little low, but I have an adjustable arm for that coming this week. I think i'm going to like it. If I can use it consistently for a month, I might just go about upgrading the entire desk to something nicer.

Finishing.....I love working wood but.... Finishing is a largely unknown subject for me. I will often wait extreme amounts of time between completing the mechanics of working the wood and applying the finish.

In one case I had a turned cherry pedestal table that sat on my assemble bench for over a year waiting for me to apply a finish.....

.... So what have you been procrastinating about.

Hopefully I can get around to answering that later today or tomorrow :D

Painting, if I have to say...Loathe it! :bang:

I can relate to your friend Don, I have a mouth full of bad teeth, yet I keep putting the trip off due to no insurance/job. Lately, I keep telling myself its the best diet plan I've ever been on :eek:. Hope things go well for him!

Finishing.....I love working wood but.... Finishing is a largely unknown subject for me. I will often wait extreme amounts of time between completing the mechanics of working the wood and applying the finish.

In one case I had a turned cherry pedestal table that sat on my assemble bench for over a year waiting for me to apply a finish.....

I can relate to that... allow me to spare you the details...