One lathe or another,,,,

Doug Jones

One lathe or another, I'm going to turn ya,,,,,,,, (a little Debra Harry tribute.)

In the latest WOOD magazine there is an article of how one woodworker piggybacked his smaller lathe onto his larger lathe. I'm sure the guy had his reason for doing it as I did when I thought it was a good idea in my situation.

MVC-285S.jpg

MVC-286S.jpg

Is not. I can swivel mine. Can you swivel yours? ;)

I can't swivel mine but I wouldn't want to even if I can ;) .

I will take the sliding feature over swivel anyday. I used to own one that swivels, didn't like it one bit. Then again, we all have our own favorite features...for our own reasons. I am glad you like your lathe, and as long as you are satisfied with it then all is cool.:thumb:

I'm guessing the theory is to leave the mini set up for pens or other small stuff, yes?

My only issue would be that either I'd need alternative storage for the mini when not in use or the "parking spot" would actually be on top of the big lathe...either way I'd be continually moving that 80lb lump.

About the third time I had to pick it up, the mini would have a 'for sale' sign on it. :eek:

I'm guessing the theory is to leave the mini set up for pens or other small stuff, yes?

My only issue would be that either I'd need alternative storage for the mini when not in use or the "parking spot" would actually be on top of the big lathe...either way I'd be continually moving that 80lb lump.

About the third time I had to pick it up, the mini would have a 'for sale' sign on it. :eek:

LOL...so true. Those tiny lathes weigh much more than they look.

I love mine and it has its own spot in my shop/garage. The PM is also on its own...ready to use whenever I feel like. :thumb:

I'd say its time for someone to start a membership at the local health club, 80 lbs isn't all that heavy.:eek:

80 pounds wasn't that heavy for me thirty years ago either. Ten years ago I could handle and toss 50 pound feed sacks like they were pillows. Then I had a serious injury that required weeks of hospitalization and three surgeries. After 'recovery' and to this day, those sacks are a real grunt to lift and carry. Go ahead and try stopping the clock, Doug. Can't be done. Life just keeps coming at you. Reality is real.

Is not. I can swivel mine. Can you swivel yours? ;)

I can swivel mine just fine thanks. But we're talking about lathes here.:rofl:

Actually having now owned one of each, I think I'll stick with my slinding headstock. Dead on, every time. But more importantly, I've not HAD to move it to turn anything yet. I could not say that about my swivel head lathe. Not trying to convert anyone. As individuals, we all have differences of opinion and preference and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just relaying my own experience.

Oh, and Frank, you are dead on about weight and age. And it makes me crazy. It was only a year or five ago that I could throw around 300 lbs like it was nothing. Now I struggle with 100. And it's infuriating!

Last edited:
Don't want to stop the clock,,

all I wanted to do is give others out there an idea for a possible storage place for their smaller lathe when space (or lack of space) is an issue.

My original attempt at humor wasn't seen as such by some. I have had to do some PM explaining that, despite my delusions, I am not Dave Barry. :(
Your piggyback idea is, actually, a very good one. My crack about the PM finally being good for something was a joke. (here is where you are supposed to laugh, I'll wait. :p ) I have storage problems also and have to get clever with fitting new stuff into the cracks and crevices. You may have seen my post about a flap sander. Space is a real issue for that and I'm still exploring possibilities. One may end up mounted on my (Grizzly) lathe, at which time, you will have the opportunity to say, "I see a Grizzly is good for something after all!" We won't even get into the 'swiveling' part. ;)

Didn't I just see this in Wood Magazine Hint page? I think it is a great idea, whoever thunk it up... I believe the Mag. hint used C-clamps to secure it to the lathe bed.

My only thought as I peered upon the posting and the Mag picture is the height, Lathe resting atop another lathe brings the working area higher and perhaps raising the discomfort level of prolonged standing in front of the machine. (I am atuned to shoulder, neck, & back problems when I spend marathon sessions in front of the lathe so correct working height is a good concern for me). Might consider that aspect as I suspect that there are a few Old codgers out there with the same problems. :wave:

Good idea anyway and something to consider,.... considering....

I built a rolling cabinet for the mount of my lathe, the cabinet was deeper than the most of the lathe due to the way the motor was mounted behind the head. I have a wide expance on the other side of the cabinet that collects "stuff". I took a smaller bowl lathe and mounted it on the back side on the tail stock end. That way it is the same working height and all I do is turn the cabinet around to use it (can't use both at the same time anyway) Only drawback is that the drawers that hold the chisels is on the front side. :doh:
Perhaps in my next life I can redesign the cabinet so the drawers open both ways...

Great idea Doug. :thumb: I considered doing the same thing to attach my little Wilton mini to by bigger Craftsman lathe, but since I already had a pretty handy location on the bench, I've left the mini separate for now. If I did much turning on the mini, I'd probably mount it on the bigger lathe, since the spindle height would be close to the same as on the big lathe...a better height than on the bench. I've been using the mini as a buffing station, so it's easier in my case for them to be separate for now.

And Frank, I can sure relate to how heavy 50 pounds can be these days. In my case it was a broken back that changed my outlook.

I'd say its time for someone to start a membership at the local health club, 80 lbs isn't all that heavy.:eek:

By Golly , I believe you're right., :eek: Got to learn to read them words that go with the pictures.... :huh:

I do like the mounting you did, over the C-clamps of the mag hint. :thumb: