Tequila Sunrise Sycamore NE

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another dyed piece. This one is natural-edged sycamore, about 16 1/2" x 12" x 4 1/2" tall. It's another three-color TransTint dye job, and for some reason the shades remind me of a Tequila Sunrise, and the name stuck. It has about 8 coats of USL, and like the other one I just posted, it still needs to be rubbed out and buffed, but that'll happen in a week or so.

Bowl 050 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 050 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 050 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 050 - 02 800.jpg

Lemme know what you think -

nice lokin natural edge vaughn must be you got a deal on some orage dye huh, and are tryin to use it up:D
Thanks, Larry, but you missed winning the cigar by that -| |- much. :p Actually, this one has honey amber, red, and dark maple. No orange dye. The other bowl I posted has some orange in it, though. I've stocked up on an assortment of colors.

I'll be trying various fades and sunburst combinations as I learn to use the new gun. Still have a lot to learn about squirting clear coats, too. Fortunately. the USL seems to be pretty forgiving. Sure doesn't stink up the shop (and house) the way rattle can lacquer does, either. LOML appreciates that.

Vaughn - beautiful bowl! Love the color variations and have to admit you got my curiosity up about the air brushes/dye routine. My wife happened to be in the room when I opened this post and she wanted to know how "that guy can turn ovals and you can't", so I immediately let her know the truth - you turn on a new Powermatic 3520B lathe!!!

Figured at least I would get the wheels turning, so to speak. Oh, I did explain a couple of minutes later how you turned the 'oval' bowl. The only answer I got back from her was "oh". End of conversation.

I do like the bowl - I am going to follow your experimentaion with the brushed dyes - looks interesting!