A shelf project for an old friend...

John Pollman

Got a call a couple weeks ago from an old friend. He just bought a house and is doing some upgrades. He had Corian counters pulled out and installed granite. The old counter wrapped around a wall about 20 " and stopped near the opening to the living room. He had them cut the granite off straight where that wall ends. It's part of the snack bar area between the kitchen and dining area. He wanted some custom shelves to fill the space. He wanted one shelf right at 36" to match the counter height. That shelf butts right up against the counter. He wanted a little more design to the ends of the shelves that were floating. This is what I came up with and he said to go for it. I just have to plug the pocket holes and let them set up overnight. Then I'll trim off the plugs, give it a final sanding, then it's ready for finish! It's about 23" wide, 12" deep on the left side, 9" deep on the right side, and 79" high.

Hicks shelf1.jpg

Thanks guys!
I'll post pics once I get it finished and installed.

This is for a friend that I grew up with. They lived two doors down from me. The day I started working on this, I got a FB message from his younger brother. He too had just bought a house that looks great on the outside, but needs a little work on the inside. I think the house was probably built in the late 50's or early 60's and there are hardly any cabinets in the kitchen. He wants to add some cabinets to the other wall of the kitchen. The ones that are there are in pretty good shape, there's just not enough of them. They're basic stained Birch plywood cabinets and he wants to try to match them. That shouldn't be a problem. It looks like my Kreg Jig will be coming in handy pretty soon. ;) I'll post pics of that project as it progresses. I'll probably be going down there to measure things up some time in the next couple weeks.

It's been done for almost a month, but weather and schedules have not worked in our favor. Things finally came together this morning and I went over and installed it. He really likes it. (and so do I ;) )
Quality work leads to future business. I'm going back some time soon to re-tile his fireplace hearth.

hicks shelf2.jpghicks shelf3.jpg