Green Grass and High Tides....

I bet I got you singing that song by the Outlaws now don't I?

Well this post is not about that song, even though I love Southern Fried Rock and roll. (Green Grass and High Tides is a song by the rock and roll group the Outlaws for those of you that have never heard of the song before). No this post is about Family Woodworking and some interesting stuff that happened over the last few days.

You see a few weeks ago Wood Online changed their format and it got people upset. I can handle the new changes I guess, but a lot of people couldn't, so a lot of the regulars over there began to leave. Since I have been on that forum for a long time and still post a lot over there, I kept getting private emails telling me these regulars were now headed over to a pretty well known woodworking forum that a lot of us came over from. ( I don't want to say the name)

I only have so much time so when this forum started up, I figured I would just post here, on wood online and then on a forum dealing with farm tractors and stuff. So for the last year or so I have not been on that other woodworking forum at all. Not even once. Well with all these woodworkers saying they were headed over, well I thought I would see what they were all chatting about.

I won't bash that site, but lets just say it was pretty obvious the reasons why I left were still present a full year later.

So I come over here and check out a post I asked about getting a marble/ ball on the Classified Ad Section. I guess I should not have been surprised, but a member on here had just what I needed. A few private emails later and that man not only sent me the steel ball I needed, he sent it for FREE. I got that steel ball today and am glad to say that it works perfectly on my weathervane. You can now blow on the weathervane with your breath and it pivots, that is how well it works.

Better yet it just goes to show you that the grass is not better on the other side of the fence. I have some great friends here, some great friends like Tod Evans that will send you stuff for free (thanks Tod and I really mean that) and other friends that love to talk woodworking, in a civil and lighthearted manner, and yet understand that we are individuals.

To every member here, I would like to say thanks...thanks for letting me be the goofy Travis S Johnson that I am, and putting up with me. Thanks for keeping things civil...even if we are talking about cedar shingle siding :) (inside joke) and thanks to all the moderators for doing their part and volunteering there time to keep order her. Most of all, thanks Marty for keeping the best woodworking forum on the internet, up and running.

Gotta agree with you Travis. We've got a pretty good bunch of folks here. We're comparatively small, but we've got a decent knowledge pool. And you add to it. :thumb:

Travis, don't worry about saying SMC, and I'm happy that you don't want to, or feel the need to bash them, we have a lot of members who are members there as well, and get along fine over there, I say great for them, and great for SMC.

Thanks for the nice words about Family Woodworking, and like Vaughn said, you certainly add to it in many ways!

I never got into "Wood Online" I found it was just a bit too large for me, I do frequent other online woodworking forum, mainly The Wood Works, a great place that was built by Jace Webber and his son-in-law Martin, when "The Oak" was off line for a VERY long time. The Oak was the first forum that I went to often, way, WAY back in 1996 :eek: when I was on a dial up connection, before even ISDN :rolleyes:

I also frequent the Oz woodworking forum Ubeaut, I happen to like the way a lot of the guys there will bodge anything, out of anything on hand, as they too do not have access to the amazing array of products you lucky guys in the US have.

They are all different and all unique, and I like them all, but as I was one of the guys who started this place, I'm certainly darn proud of it, and of how we, as a group of individuals have conducted ourselves, yeah me make mistakes, but we do try to learn from them, and in the end, this place is only as good as we, the members, make it.

Cheers!

I agree fully. I really enjoy this group and have learned a LOT from all you people. I only hope I can contribute some good things as well someday too. I am also a member of OWWM, because I like restoring old machines, (those are what I grew up learning on and using with my Dad), and I also go to SMC on occaision. They have their sign section (which has been one of my professions for most of my life) and I learn stuff there.

Now that I have re-discovered turning, this forum has given me much great information to work with, and some great ideas. AND, wherelse has anyone found someone so "expertly" building his own bandsaw? I mean it's just been great here. I wish I was able to meet you folks in person. That would be the best.

So that's my take on being a member of the family. I'm glad Reg Mitchell turned me on to this.

Aloha, and "much mahalos" (many thanks in Hawaiian)

Tony

yup, first thing that crossed my mind was the ol` outlaws song travis.....glad the old bearing worked for you.
my thanks too to all who make this site what it is, where else could an opinionated ol` hillbilly who`s allergic to the caps key call home;)

This is the only WW form that I follow on a daily basis. :thumb:

I think FWW is run well, and we have good members. I have never been made to feel like I posted a dumb question, here. The honest answers and opinions in a civil manner, are what I really like about FWW.

I read SMC occasionaly, but I didn't bother to sign up there.

Now that I have re-discovered turning, this forum has given me much great information to work with, and some great ideas. AND, wherelse has anyone found someone so "expertly" building his own bandsaw? I mean it's just been great here. I wish I was able to meet you folks in person. That would be the best.

Tony, Hawaii is half way to to Stu's Dungeon! :rofl:

Tony, Hawaii is half way to to Stu's Dungeon!

I know that Sean. And, I have been to Japan, once, but I didn't know that Stu exhisted 5 years ago when I went through Narita on my way to China. :dunno: (My wife is from mainland China. She's an English teacher) :eek: She has said she'd like to take me to Japan one day and we certainly would make a point to visit Stu, and Alex if we do go. She taught English to Chinese students in Japan some 15 years ago in Niigata. So, I'd like to go there someday.

And I am originally from not far from you Sean, Chautauqua County in New York, Westfield (The original home of Welch's Grape Juice), to be specific. (Exit 60 on the Thruway, Sean) Been here in Hawaii for nearly 20 years now.

Yes, this is what I like about being a member here. It IS like family. :)

Aloha, Tony

Tony, if you and your lovely wife came, I'd sure like to give you the nickel tour of the Dungeon, and have a meal or two together, I'm buying! :D :wave: