don't know wood

Well this is a piece of wood a friend gave me. Not sure what it is. Looks a little like walnut, but i'm sure it's not. This stuff stinks when i turn it, and it's real stringy.Still needs some more lacquar,wax, and buff, but will get there. Sorry for the bad pics, but was to lazy to set up the tent.:) The piece is about 6 1/2 x 6 3/4 to top of finial. thanka as always, and all c&c welcome.
Steve016 [800x600].JPG025 [800x600].JPG026 [800x600].JPG

I can't help the wood ID but your hollow form looks very nice. I like the pale colored finial (both color and shape) and the transistion from HF to finial is great.

Very nice, Steve. Great hollow form, and like Dennis, I really like the smooth transition from the top of the vessel into the finial. Great work. :clap:

That is not Morado. Morado is Brazilian Rosewood. I have a piece that I bought several years ago. I have a picture somewhere on my 'puter, or I'll take a new pic of the Morado I have and post same.

A hard wood lumber yard near me has/had 8000 sq. ft. of Morado that someone had them order for flooring and then changed their mind. Seems like I paid around $8.00 a board ft.

ok first stop is ask the local what it was and secondly see if they have some pictures of it in the summer or in spring with blossoms perhaps.. any clues that you can muster will help in identification.. the landscape companies today have all sorts of non native species available to them so for us to know them all is not a good chance of hitting it:)

Larry i 'll ask Chuck again, as this was his half brothers tree. Chuck is the one that took it down, and he's a decent id'er of trees. He's worked for a couple logging outfits and still has his own small log truck. Does logging on the side.His first guess when he was cutting it was walnut, but when he got it on the ground he wasn't sure any more. Will ask him again as i'm making him a few small cabs, and he's been trying to get me to take a trip to the river with him, for some fishing and arrow head hunting.

Last edited:
Larry i 'll ask Chuck again, as this was his half brothers tree. Chuck is the one that took it down, and he's a decent id'er of trees. He's worked for a couple logging outfits and still has his own small log truck. Does logging on the side.His first guess when he was cutting it was walnut, but when he got it on the ground he wasn't sure any more. Will ask him again as i'm making him a few small cabs, and he's been trying to get me to take a trip to the river with him, for some fishing and arrow head hunting.

dont even mention the arrow head hunting got some of that in one time in alabama next to the river ,,got lucky too:) those days are gone in my parts..

dont even mention the arrow head hunting got some of that in one time in alabama next to the river ,,got lucky too:) those days are gone in my parts..
Well we're alowed to hunt them but not allowed to dig for them. After a big rain and the water goes down is the time to go looking.:) I've only gone twice, but him and his son have thousands of them. I found one each time i did go and one was a real nice.