Questions about phenolic?

Alan Bienlein

I came across this piece of 1/2" x 61" x 81" piece of phenolic for free. I've had it for about 9 months and was wondering what to use it for. I'm amazed that it's still flat considering when I got it it was leaning against a wall for a bout a year before I got it.
004.jpg003.jpg
Any ideas on the best way to cut or machine it?

The 3/4" piece I got for my out feed table top was a bugger to cut with the skill saw and a sharp carbide tipped blade. Smoothing the edge with a straight router bit was also a chore.

you do have a high dollar piece of material and router top was my first thought as well but any tabletop be it a chop saw station or another use would be great use of it..

I was thinking the same thing on replacing the top on my router extention wing with it along with some table saw inserts.

The other piece I have is 3/4" thick and I used it on my out feed table.
005.JPG001.JPG

It was a bugger to cut and machine and was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints or an easier way to cut/machine this material?

Should I use a triple chip saw blade?

What about tooth count?

Would a spiral router bit cut it easier?

I'm planning to purchase a piece of the stuff to replace the beat up material on my General 650 table saw extension. I wonder how much it is going to cost and if I can purchase it pre-cut to fit. Right now, I don't even know who sells it in the Toronto area.

Phenolic is great for TS inserts, router table, router table inserts, fence faces, etc. I cut it with a TS...don't use your best blade. That's worth some $.