Dyeing Wood

Good Morning!

If one wants to dye (or stain--I'm not sure the difference) wood a bright color like blue or green, what do you use, and where do you get it?

Thanks,
cynthia

kaffeetrinker_2.gif

try RIT dye cynthia, the turners have been using it, and it appears vibrant..a guy made a real nice guitar here and used rit dye for the green and its was outstanding..

Good Morning!

If one wants to dye or stain

kaffeetrinker_2.gif
Here's what I use.
https://www.woodessence.com/ColorFX-Dye-Trial-12-Color-Kits-P51C12.aspx

plus I ordered Orange as an extra. It is a dye that mixes with either water or what I use; Isopropyl Alcohol 99% pure to get faster drying for my pens as well as no grain raising. I generally would mix about 1 - 2 tsps of Isopropyl with 4 - 5 drops of the dye for a very deep colour.

Lots of choices, this is the only one I've tried.

Cynthia:

Timing is everything. I used Levenger's Amethyst Fountain Pen ink over maple to make a handle for a magnifying glass.

I was 99.44% done with the post, and cancelled out of the preview post :doh: I was too angry to re-enter the post.

Anyway - the picture is below.

attachment.php

The color is a fairly dark purple and with some Behlen's Woodturning finish covered by some rattle can poly it came out well.

I've used some Transtint dye to dye a pen red. The mistake I made was to attempt to tint the finish instead of the wood. I tinted some Behlen's aand applied it. I had trouble getting even coverage. Subsequent applications of the wipe on finish would "meld" with the prior layer and remove the tinted layer.

For the purple I sanded and then applied directly to the wood and finished over it. The first coat of finish removed a little of the ink/dye but not much.

Good luck and experiment on little projects.

Cheers

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0035 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0035 (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 87
Transtint seems to be the overwhelming favorite. I was going to use the Transtint on my son's guitar last summer, but decided to give the RIT fabric dyes a try first. The early results were impressive, but I was somewhat concerned about color fastness, so I sprayed on a coat of spar varnish with UV blocker to protect it. It seems to be holding up well so far.

8-29-10jgitter018.jpg