E-book reader questions

Jeff Horton

I know this is a simple question but not having every used an Kindle or any of the others I have an excuse.

Waiting on the final proof to come back on my book so I am playing with the formatting of an Ebook version. I have a question about links in the text. I assume that all the readers will read links, what I am not clear is on is what kind of pages can they read? I assume some do more than others of course.

If I put a link to a video on a web site are the readers able to play them?

For that matter can they read Web Pages?

Suddenly realized just how little I know about these.

Smart phones or a computer I know, but never even held an ebook reader before.

The Kindle is somewhat proprietary in the file types it'll read.

Sony, Nook, Kobo, and otheres won't/can't read Kindle files, but nearly all of them (except Kindle? :dunno:) can use the Adobe E-Pub format.

At present (hopefully soon to change) the public library systems can't download to Kindle, but can download to nearly every other brand of reader.

Another option is using a PDF file, but some readers, like my Kobo, have some formatting idiosyncracies with PDFs. Nearly all readers will recognize PDF, though.

Hope this helps...

Can't answer the question, I'm not the techy type.
But, I will opin that old stubborn types, like me, are quickly being won over to using e-books of all kinds. I started reading with my iPhone4. It is with me at all times and I can read to fill in time if I'm waiting somewhere. East to use and re-opens where I left off.
It is no longer the future, it is here now.

Working my way through an extremely long book on my droid tablet right now. Reading the book was a pain because it was so thick. This is effortless.

And like frank notes, I could read it on my phone, or my table, or computer... Very convenient.

Last edited:
I know this is a simple question but not having every used an Kindle or any of the others I have an excuse.

Waiting on the final proof to come back on my book so I am playing with the formatting of an Ebook version. I have a question about links in the text. I assume that all the readers will read links, what I am not clear is on is what kind of pages can they read? I assume some do more than others of course.

Suddenly realized just how little I know about these.

Smart phones or a computer I know, but never even held an ebook reader before.

Jeff,

I've had my Nook color for several weeks. It's a great ereader! The icing on the cake is I can check my email, view web pages, play videos, view PDFs, play MP3 files and view and edit Office files. It's more like a poor man's IPad.

The direction of the ereaders including Kindle (though not yet) seems to be toward more tablet type functionality.

Jack

Jeff,

Safe answer, to both these questions, is No. Completely accurate answer is Sometimes. But in general, it's agreed one shouldn't code links, or video, and most people even avoid pictures. Line drawings are more tolerated, but even then, there's not much control over how it will appear.

Smashwords has one of the leading style guides, download it here in Kindle format: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52

Kindle reader for PC is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

Easy converter for various ebook formats is here: http://calibre-ebook.com/

All this is easy to learn, it just takes a couple hours... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I've had my Nook color for several weeks. It's a great ereader! The icing on the cake is I can check my email, view web pages, play videos, view PDFs, play MP3 files and view and edit Office files. It's more like a poor man's IPad.

I got to thinking about tablets after I posted this. They are so wildly popular and probably being used more and more as ereaders.

Safe answer, to both these questions, is No. Completely accurate answer is Sometimes.

I have done a little more reading and realize there is no standard yet. Very confusing.

I am stilling doing a lot of research but was disappointed to find that Smashwords has a 5 megabyte limit and there is no way my book can get even remotely close! It's currently 66 megs and tons of photos. So got to look at other options.