Unbreakable Glass

Somebody should tell them about a "glass cutter".:D

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Is this the same glass used in armored vehicles?

No I don't think so, this is not ballistic glass, it is not up to that kind of kinetic energy. Imagine if you had this on your ground floor windows of your house, it would be almost impossible to break into the house through a window. You would not have to install bars on the outside of your windows. I can think of lots of other places this would be great!

Don't know much more about it.

No I don't think so, this is not ballistic glass, it is not up to that kind of kinetic energy. Imagine if you had this on your ground floor windows of your house, it would be almost impossible to break into the house through a window. You would not have to install bars on the outside of your windows. I can think of lots of other places this would be great!

Don't know much more about it.

It can withstand a fairly massive explosion, though. http://www.hammerglass.com/news/20130409-hammerglass-withstands-explosions/

I can imagine a scenario where the house collapses, but the windows come through in fine style.

I can see this stuff becoming mandated by the insurance companies covering insurance on stores situated in places like say a London high street or Downtown Toronto high street.

Whenever there are riots and the opportunity is used by the criminal element to gain access to stores and loot, the loss that an insurance company incurs if the tenants were properly insured is not only the contents but loss of profit and damage etc.

Installed properly this kind of barrier once known etc will secure the store and allow for trading to continue far sooner with just replacement of the fronts.

My guess is this is a sandwich of something like glass and polycarbonate. But who knows. If you have ever taken a sheet of lexan and tried to punture it you get similar effects to what i was seeing in the video once they broke the outer skin of what looked like tempered glass. Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate plastic made by GE plastics and its amazing stuff with what it can take in terms of abuse and not break.

I would like to see how this stuff would stand up to a blast as in being in the vicinity of a car bomb. My guess is that the issue would then move to how it is mounted and secured in place. If that can be proven to withstand blasts oh boy the skies the limit for this stuff for all sorts of applications. No more flying shards of glass.

Thanks Stu for bringing it to our attention.