Liquid Amber NE Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is some wood I got from a firewood lot in Pasadena. The wood guy told me it was "Liquid Amber" wood. After a little research, I learned it was "Liquidambar", and it's just another name for Sweet or Red Gum. Of course, I did this reasearch after I wrote "Liquidamber" on the bottom with a wood-burning pen. :doh: (I looked it up after I got it, and remembered it was a single word, but I didn't pay attention to the spelling.) So, I guess this is a SweetRedAmberLiquidGumball bowl. :D

It's 16" x 12" on the top, and about 4 1/2" tall at the wings. The walls are just under 1/2 thick. Nothing real spectacular going on in the wood, but it turned and finished nicely, with good, tight bark. The finish is Formby's Tung Oil blend and spray lacquer, tripoli and wax buffed. The cracks in the knot in the bottom are filled with CA and charcoal dust.

Bowl 040 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 040 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 040 - 03 800.jpg

I've got to get a bigger backdrop...the bowls are getting too big. (I already have a bigger light cube, but the frame is real flimsy, so I need to figure out a cheap and easy way to reinforce it.)

Comments, critiques, and questions about animal husbandry welcomed. :wave:

Interesting, the way I look at it it looks like it was bent the same way any plastic cover would. :huh: Still It looks really nice.

What are you going to use it for? Sell? Salad bowl? For your morning cereal? :rofl::rofl:

Great Job!

Great! Why is a duck?:D...
Because one of its legs is both the same, silly. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments, gang.

Yann, this one will be added to the pile of pieces for sale at art shows. I've got more things to sell than I can fit in my 10' x 10' booth, but I still keep turning bigger and bigger pieces. :doh:

Mohammad, I don't remember for sure, but I think the wood lot is at the corner of North Sierra Madre and East Colorado Blvd. I do know it's somewhere in the neighborhood of Rockler on Rosemead and Arroyo Hardwoods on San Gabriel.