Some things I have come to realize...

KaLea Thoits

So out in the shop this evening I realized some things...
Keep in mind that I am pretty new to woodworking and have probably less than 20 or so projects under my belt, but I do generally know right away if I like something or not, so here goes...
I like Chuck's Makita Chop saw that I use on the job site far better than the Hitachi one that is out in the shop. (Probably for the same reason some of you feel the opposite.) The Hitachi seems to have way more *oomph*, to use a polite word. I find that the saw either sucks the wood in or pushes it out as I am making the cut, just enough to screw up my piece every time. I also don't like the additional weight of it in comparison to the Makita. It would be nice if the Makita had the same laser site that the Hitachi has, but other than that I find the green one to be stupid :)
Next on the list.... I am not a (flat work) wooden box maker. I might be a box maker if I could figure out a better way to do it, but all that trying to get it lined up right and glued up right and everything else before it gets all out of whack is just not for me. Not to mention what a pain it is to sand the darn thing when you are done.
Which brings me the the next epiphany... I do NOT enjoy using hand held power tools. How you all spend so many years using those things amazes me, after 5 minutes my hands are numb... there is no enjoyment in that for me.
So all this leads me to believe I should stick with jewelry, spinny things (as Larry so lovingly calls them), forks and the like that I can make using bench top tools and hand finishing. Oh, and taking the pictures and doing shop layout and all that other end of the good stuff ;

Wow - Kalea has 20 projects under her belt?

She's already 10 projects beyond me!

Darn - I hate being shown up by a girl! :rofl:

Welcome to the creek - even though you have probably been reading posts here longer than me.

Cheers

Jim

Oops! - Please forgive my reference to that other ww forum.

I'll be quiet for a while . . .
No worries, Jim. Most of us have spent some time at Sawmill Creek. And we don't get bent out of shape if someone says their name (or even posts links to there).

Kalea, you'll find that some hand-held power tools are less hand-numbing than others. I've got some sanders that I can use for hours, and others that tire my hands out within 5 or 10 minutes. Same thing with drills and a few others in the shop.

Have you tried using tape to line up the sides of a box when you're gluing it together? If you're using 45º mitered corners, you can lay all four sides of the box in a line with each piece touching the ends of the others (outside facing up), then run a single strip of clear packing tape along the length of the lined-up pieces. Something like this:

Box Glue-Up.jpg

After you tape the sides together, turn it over, add glue to the joints, fold the pieces into the box shape, then use one more piece of tape to close the last joint. Easy-peasy. For small boxes, you don't even really need clamps.

and she didn't like how it came out... did she? :p
Oh and by the way... I like the sound of your idea Vaughn... I will try that before I give up one them completely..... and I am wondering if that might just work for stained glass boxes too!:thumb:

Last edited:
No she has not tried that Vaughn. The only thing she has tried so far is watching Chucky glue up her parts for her.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I didn't think it was so hard.:thumb:

and she didn't like how it came out... did she? :p
Oh and by the way... I like the sound of your idea Vaughn... I will try that before I give up one them completely..... and I am wondering if that might just work for stained glass boxes too!:thumb:

Yes it is a SCMS blade. It is how ever a bit dull.:thumb:

Ok, I have to ask. Do you each have your own computer or is some arm wrestling going on at your place to decide who gets to response next. Chuck I hope it is not the latter, because she has been responding a lot!:D

Last edited:
Ok, I have to ask. Do you each have your own computer or is some arm wrestling going on at your place to decide who gets to response next. Chuck I hope it is not the latter, because she has been responding a lot!:D
LOL!!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I have my own computer :thumb:

be careful.........sawdust is addictive.
after you finish your first cool to you piece all of the work involved is forgotten as you start designing the next piece in your head.
woodworkin` is so varied that a person can spend their entire life trying to master all of the different aspects. "flat"-n-"spinny" are pretty broad strokes..just wait `till you decide to take on whittlin` or marquetry, then there`s curved stuff and if that proves boring double curvature......
handtools don`t have cords by the way;)

Stuart, in his post on the new SCMS had discussion about blade type for these saws. Around post #41 the blades are detailed as to the best type for SCMS.

I was going to mention that negative rake thingy also.
However, something I learned here. When cross cutting with the CSMS, DO NOT come down then pull.
Pull out, turn on, come down and push saw back for the cut. Easier, safer and a better cut without the 'suck' or 'racing' or whatever.
Prior to learning that, I really didn't like using my csms because it wanted to take control and dictate how the cut was made. Now, I am in control and things are much more better. :)

Frank, never thought of using the SCMS like a radial arm saw. I have always pulled it out, powered up, blade down and push. Bet it is a bit of a bronc the other way!
Kalea, I really don't think there is much advice I can offer as Chuck is at hand and a very accomplished wood worker/craftsman. But, one thing comes to mind, the size of the piece of wood. Some boxes I have made due to the sizes (or lack of size) do make a person "shudder". So maybe a hold down clamp needs to be added to the saw to increase your safety and confidence. Now you mention sanding, and there is a lot of sanding on these, but free form bandsaw boxes, they are fun and easy to make and hard to mess up! Might try to take some pictures of a couple I have here that I made for my wife. Oh, here I have a DeWalt SCMS, it is the cadillac!

I was going to mention that negative rake thingy also.
However, something I learned here. When cross cutting with the CSMS, DO NOT come down then pull.
Pull out, turn on, come down and push saw back for the cut. Easier, safer and a better cut without the 'suck' or 'racing' or whatever.
Prior to learning that, I really didn't like using my csms because it wanted to take control and dictate how the cut was made. Now, I am in control and things are much more better. :)

How ironic. Yesterday the wife and I went to Seattle for a day trip and while at the Woodcraft store she was trying out the Festool SCMS :eek: and asked me which way it worked. I did not know because I have only used my chop saw. I will not need to use that nugget of information right away as I was able to pry her hands off of the saw, but I will store it away.

kalea dont give up the ship yet,, if you can work along side him in the day job and get along then you should be able to handle the flat stuff like the others have said there are tools out there that wont vibrate your nail polish off and wont fell like a constant earth quake every time you turn on the switch as for the makita and hitachi.. dont take chance with one that has more power than your arms have..talk to the boss and go the toy store next time and ask to use some of the newre stuff to get a feel for it .. the more you two can do together and be civil to one another the better your future will be i envy what have already....so hang in there and gett eh captain to listen more..:D:thumb:

Thanks for the input Larry =)
I don't wear nailpolish usually.... the one time recently I painted my nails I went out to make some "spinny" things and kept accidentally rubbing my nails on the project leaving nifty purple stripes round the thing that I then had to sand out. The polish came off the next day ;)
I started another flat project today... building a shelf setup for my teeny jars of makeup so I that they can all be out on the shelf and I can see what color is in the jar without having to unstack and restack. So far I only messed up once... having Chuck rip the pieces for me (table saws are scary)... accidentally gave him the pieces he already ripped for the sides to be ripped again for shelves... oops. I post a pic when I get it together.
Also.... as far as the captain comment.... *I* am actually the captain of the ship.... didja not notice the hat? If you could see the whole picture you'd also notice the fine pirate coat as well... purely befitting of the catain..... Chuck has no such coat ;)

there are tools out there that wont vibrate your nail polish off and wont fell like a constant earth quake every time you turn on the switch

That is what I like about this forum, opinions that are based on actually experience! Thanks Larry for sharing you problem with nail polish and vibrating tools!:thumb::D

Kaylea, I prefer using the clear nail polish (CNP, as it's known to us woodworkers) when I'm turning. That is unless, of course, I do want purple accents on the turned piece. I've found the Sally Hansen 'Hard as Nails' (with nylon) polish to be the most durable. :p

True story...when I was playing the guitar for a living, I used to wear Sally Hansen CNP, but only on my right index finger (nail). I was spending 8+ hours per day playing, and that fingernail would get worn down from hitting the guitar strings if I didn't put something on it to protect it. I eventually started using CA glue instead, since it seemed to last longer. :D