The mice have been in my shop again

Chuck Ellis

Well, actually only one and he's under my eye....

I was doing a really nice spalted maple bowl this afternoon, got it all hollowed, sanded and ready to finish the bottom... it's a 10" diameter, so only way I can do the bottom is with my home made Longworth chuck... got it all set up, the tail stock in place and most of the tenon turned away... but need to finish the nub under the tail stock, so moved it back and started cutting the 1 inch or so nub... the bowl wobble loose in the chuck, so I stopped it, reset everything and started again... my lathe will only go down to 450 and that's the speed I work the longworth with since it's not the most stable holding method... as soon as I touched the nub again, whammo the bowl jumped off the lathe and as quick as I ducked, it whacked me on the cheek just below the left eye... I had taken my face shield off so I could see a little better... I'll not do that again :eek:

I'm going to have a black eye tomorrow.... just in time for our 18th anniversary... On our first date, after I seated her in the passenger side of my car, at that time a '72 Crown Victoria with no frame around the windows, Dianne reached across the car and flipped the driver side door open... it was dark enough I couldn't see the edge of the window and it caught me just under the right eye.... first two weeks of our relationship I sported a shiner... I told everyone she beat me into submission... keeping up the beatings to keep me in line:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Misc. 002.jpg
    Misc. 002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Misc. 001.jpg
    Misc. 001.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 31
Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. :eek:

The only time I've been really hit by a piece coming off the lathe, it was almost the exact same scenario as yours. Finishing a spalted bowl in the Longworth chuck, no face shield (so I could see better), touched the nub, got a catch, and Wham! right in the face. I must have ducked faster than you, because mine hit me above the eye, not below it. :p Only takes about one experience like that to make you a firm believer in face shields, huh?

Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark. :eek:

The only time I've been really hit by a piece coming off the lathe, it was almost the exact same scenario as yours. Finishing a spalted bowl in the Longworth chuck, no face shield (so I could see better), touched the nub, got a catch, and Wham! right in the face. I must have ducked faster than you, because mine hit me above the eye, not below it. :p Only takes about one experience like that to make you a firm believer in face shields, huh?

I guess we get complacent.. the reason I got a face shield in the first place was back when I first started turning a pen blank blew up and hit me just under the safety glasses (When I started I always wore safety glasses) and nicked my cheek ... so the face shield... I rarely turn anything without it, but it got dusty from all the sanding on the bowl and I had just hung it up... next time I'll wipe it down and put it back where it belongs -
over my pretty face.:rofl::rofl:

What kind of face shields do you guys usually use when you're not taking them off to get a better look?

I've only got a super cheapo slightly rounded piece of plastic on a headband kind... I'm not sure that little piece of plastic would do much good against a bowl spinning at 450 rpms...

I caught one in the chin. The face mask you described simply distorted and deflected and the force was spread out. No cuts, not even a black and blue mark. Sore for a day or two. Happened so fast, wasn't even time to put the undies in jeopardy!

BTW, I use the polish for motorcycle helmets and airplane windshields. It keeps them clean and even takes care of slight scratches. Now if I could just remember what to use to kill the static electricity that attracts dust....:huh::huh::dunno::dunno:

BTW, I use the polish for motorcycle helmets and airplane windshields. It keeps them clean and even takes care of slight scratches. Now if I could just remember what to use to kill the static electricity that attracts dust....:huh::huh::dunno::dunno:

how about CA will the motorcycle cleaner take that off :D .. that's one of the reasons I have to take it off to see... you can't clean it off with acetone (DAMHIKT) ... :rofl:

Thanks, Don. THAT'S what I was trying to remember. Gotta get another box of those things.

As I recalled, used ones worked better. Is that right?