Have any hidden door secrets?

With a job coming up the designer wants several doors in a certain room to disappear. One is a 2'6X6'8 and the other is a 2'8X6'8. One opens in the other opens out. They are designed to have 1 1/4" soundboard on the doors and surrounding the area of the door down to chair rail at 36" ( lets forget about the doorknobs for this) . The chair rail will probably project 3", below will be the paneling and then base which will probably come out about 2 1/4" maybe 2 1/2" in places. They want as free flowing ,uninterrupted millwork as possible flowing along the wall across the door and down the wall. Is this possible? Any brainstorming helps.Shaz

Different style design . . .

I'm trying to get a section of bookcase to slide / roll out into the room and bring the wall section in the other room with it. I'm thinking teflon rollers onto the hardwood floor and some kind of guides up above. Been goofing with the idea for a few years. The biggest issue I'm seeing is keeping every aspect of an " assembly " in line with every other structure. You figure in this wall, that wall, this floor and that ceiling and then, like you said, the trims in both rooms. I'll watch this thread carefully. Maybe someone out there has already got the all encompassing answer !

Tricky

I've got one I'm working on like that, though I'm just going for un-obtrusive more than hidden. Easiest way to do it is have the door open into the room so you don't have to worry about stops and things. For one opening out, the only way I can see to do it and still have it flush with the paneling is to use the old style swinging door hardware that has the pivot point in the center of the door thickness. There may be invisible hinges like that available in commercial lines, like for big glass bank doors and things.

The one I'm working on opens into the hall and I'm just going to use standard (black finish) butt hinges and probably a ball catch and discreet pull rather than a knob.

I'd love to see some sketches or even pics as it comes along.

Man, a chair rail too! Thats tricky on the one that opens into the room -- got to be chamfered or something. Unless you could find some kind of huge version of a soss hinge...

Last edited:
What a cool project! It is definitely possible. I've seen some pretty fancy setups either online or in mags. I think it may be Rockler that sells some hardware for doing hidden doors. Do some Googling and see what pops up! This should be a fun project to watch! Much more fun than a fence!

I did not do the work myself, but after talking with the carpenters, that 15 million dollar boat I am working on supposedly has 3 hidden compartments in it.

I think they are to hold self-defense type things (guns). Its really not surprising, or unmoral or the owner considering being on the high seas even in this day and age, you may want to protect yourself and your belongings. No joking, piracy still exists out there especially around the Caribbean from what i hear.

This is a time when it would be great to have some folks from the movie industry on board. Most of what they do is designed just good enough to allow the director to get the shot he is after but the mechanics and ideas are pretty different than your everyday folks.

You figure in this wall, that wall, this floor and that ceiling and then, like you said, the trims in both rooms. I'll watch this thread carefully. Maybe someone out there has already got the all encompassing answer ( Hi Steve, :wave: it will be interesting to see this one go on and hopefully we can all learn something.:)...S)

I've got one I'm working on like that, though I'm just going for un-obtrusive more than hidden. ( now that you mention this I believe I too, in this case am headed for the un-obtrusive :)...S). For one opening out, the only way I can see to do it and still have it flush with the paneling is to use the old style swinging door hardware that has the pivot point in the center of the door thickness. ( this idea has me thinking:rolleyes:...S) There may be invisible hinges like that available in commercial lines, like for big glass bank doors and things. (Hi John, :wave:
I have used the big sosses and they work great but they don't give me enough kick out as you very well know. They were my first thought...S)

I'd love to see some sketches or even pics as it comes along.

Man, a chair rail too! Thats tricky on the one that opens into the room -- got to be chamfered or something. Unless you could find some kind of huge version of a soss hinge..( That would be quite the marvel, 3X the big soss size:eek:...S)

BIL built a bookcase that attached to a door opening via heavy duty piano hinge. Case was trimmed to the wall.
The only thing I could see that it wasn't an actual bookcase against the wall, was a very small castor on the front side bottom of the case to hold the weight on the floor. He eventually put some molding down there.

( Hi Steve, :wave: Appreciate your input, "WE WILL NOT GIVE IN"...S :rofl: )Still thinking :huh:

Ooooh, sounds like fun and a challenge!

( Hi Matt, :wave:
Thanks for the links, I went to both and think it may give me some help although they are not quite my need now they are good tips to store in the memory bank. Good choice!...S)
Drawing

Install

What a cool project! It is definitely possible. I've seen some pretty fancy setups either online or in mags. I think it may be Rockler that sells some hardware for doing hidden doors. Do some Googling and see what pops up! This should be a fun project to watch! Much more fun than a fence! ( Hi Ed, :wave:
Just think of it this way. You are taking it easy on a vacation fence project:doh::D, while I am googling my life away so that "YOU TOO":rofl: ( that is a big promotion statement down here!!!:D) can share whatever knowledge comes about! Your life is SWEET!!!!:wave:...S... I hope.:))

I did not do the work myself, but after talking with the carpenters, that 15 million dollar boat I am working on supposedly has 3 hidden compartments in it. ( I'll bet they are quite fine pieces of work ...S)

I think they are to hold self-defense type things (guns). Its really not surprising, or unmoral or the owner considering being on the high seas even in this day and age, you may want to protect yourself and your belongings. No joking, piracy still exists out there especially around the Caribbean from what i hear. ( Hi Travis, :wave:
I would bet so and out there you have to have your own 50 caliber and a few other tricks too:eek:...S)

This is a time when it would be great to have some folks from the movie industry on board. ( Absolutely, Let's start inviting them...S) Most of what they do is designed just good enough to allow the director to get the shot he is after but the mechanics and ideas are pretty different than your everyday folks.( Hi Glenn, :wave:
Good perspective/ smoke and mirrors!:D...S)
This is far from settled. The decorator has supposedly met with the homeowner for several changes. When I get the real plans I will scan and post.
thanks for the interest. Hopefully we can all benefit from the ideas and the research.
Shaz:)

Check this out. You may have to buy a subscription for it.

Check out the JLC Forum too.

Hi Ed, (THE MR. FENCE MAN!:thumb: ) :wave: Lookin Good out there!!
I appreciate your search, and response, and have visited these different sites. They are different and helpful. The more information we can amass the better chance we have of arriving at the most appropriate solution. Very kind of you to help me so. I will keep you posted of my progress.:D
Thanks,
Shaz :)

What about secret compartments on boxes or in some smaller furniture like credenzas or desks?

I want to build a jewelry box for my niece (10yrs) for her birthday and I'd like it to become her jewelry box for the rest of her life, I'm tinkering with the idea of incorporating a secret compartment or a double bottom but nothing of what I've thought satisfies me.