Impromtu Survey on GRR Gripper ownership

How many Grr Grippers do you own & would you be interested in one on a deal.

• Have one Gripper

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Have 2 or more Grippers

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Do not have a Gripper

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Would buy a Gripper if a really good deal came along

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Keeble

Hi All

After seeing the post on the Gripper I thought it would be interesting to establish how many people have these devices so please take part in the poll.

Last edited:
Somehow I have four.... You can make the same pushers, but the rubber padding is really good.

Album with at few pics

Copy%20of%20IMG_2202.jpg"

Here is one of them I set up for the jointer...

Copy%20of%20IMG_2201.jpg

Rob, you might want to add one other item to your survey, would not own a GRRRRiper if given to me. I own one and use it a lot. But have read many discussions concerning it and it is like other items, people have a passion for it or against it. May make your survey more useful.

I have two but only rarely use them both at once (I have smaller pads for the jointer). I really like having two different setups, one for narrow stock with all the add-ons and one for general controlled pushing.

Jonathan has a good idea. There are folks who don't like the whole idea of Grr-Rippers and like devices. I think this comes from what you do and how you do it. I've always been fascinated by Board Buddies and many people swear by them. They would be constantly in my way. That doesn't make them bad; just not for me.

I have two but only rarely use them both at once (I have smaller pads for the jointer). I really like having two different setups, one for narrow stock with all the add-ons and one for general controlled pushing.
I have mine set up similar to Glenn's description.

... There are folks who don't like the whole idea of Grr-Rippers and like devices. I think this comes from what you do and how you do it. ...
I saw the ads for Grr-Rippers but never took them seriously until I saw a couple of demos at a woodworking show. I left the show with a pair of them. For many operations, you need to use something for safety sake and these are versatile enough for a lot of applications.

I've always been fascinated by Board Buddies and many people swear by them. They would be constantly in my way. That doesn't make them bad; just not for me.
Same here, but I never pulled the trigger on a purchase. I glad I hesitated because I ended up getting the full Grip-Tite setup, which is more useful to me.
:thumb:

Rob,
I own two and use them frequently. After a slight boo boo with a dado blade, I like the control of the stock they give. They aren't idiot-proof, but they do help this one keep himself out of harms way.:eek:

Wes

Rob, you might want to add one other item to your survey, would not own a GRRRRiper if given to me. I own one and use it a lot. But have read many discussions concerning it and it is like other items, people have a passion for it or against it. May make your survey more useful.
Thanks Jonathan I will try and edit it. Never thought of that catagory. I assumed it was loved and sought after how wrong of me to be so narrow.:thumb:

On the other hand, if someone DOESN'T have one, how can they possibly have an opinion? I have never heard anything negative about it, other than it being a bit pricey. But, how pricey is major surgery? ;)

On the other hand, if someone DOESN'T have one, how can they possibly have an opinion? I have never heard anything negative about it, other than it being a bit pricey. But, how pricey is major surgery? ;)
Good point. I know some people are concerned about having their hand over the blade, but having ripped thin strips with pushsticks before, I feel the Grripper is MUCH safer and less likely to cause things to be thrown back at you. I also get a much better (cleaner) cut, since the wood is under better control as it moves through the blade.

I selected Own 1 AND would buy one if I got a good deal.

Woodcraft stores have a good (for them) approach of carrying the Deluxe models of things it carries. I have a deluxe model and would get a bare bones model to have a second. I missed my chance at the local Woodworkers show when I think Peachtree was selling the base models cheap.

Jim

Vaughn brought up the point I had heard (soon after I purchased mine by the way) of the concern of having your hand pass over the blade. I have always felt safer using this on small pieces than I have with push sticks even though the hand does pass over a spinning blade.

Yeppers, if a push stick happens to touch the blade it can be kicked back at you before you know what happens. If the Grrripper happens to touch the blade, you just continue through the cut, then kick yourself afterward for not adjusting the feet correctly. (Don't ask me how I know this.) No violent surprises.

Sorry to go against the stream....but...

Some 18 months ago, I made one using a trowel as the handle and an 1¼" Oak as base and legs.

Without even trying it, I posted it in a UK forum and got very negative replies about working without blade guard and passing my hand over the blade...

So, I posted it on a USA forum and got the same reply from the forum Admin ("no way that I'll pass my hand over the blade")....

At that moment, I went down to the garage to test it......I was lucky to wear my brown pants that day......project deleted and the pictures removed from the posts....

I don't have any problems to cut small (very small) pieces or 1/16" narrow strips. I use a "narrow strips sled" and my push stick is far from the blade (till today, it didn't touch the blade with any push stick).

By the way, I use the "narrow strips sled" not only for "narrow strips" but also for "wide strips"....

On the pics, you can see it "in action".

I hope that the "High blade" will not scare you. As for me, I love high blade but I don't care because in any case I don't see it....

niki

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to go against the stream....but...

Some 18 months ago, I made one using a trowel as the handle and an 1¼" Oak as base and legs.

Without even trying it, I posted it in a UK forum and got very negative replies about working without blade guard and passing my hand over the blade...

So, I posted it on a USA forum and got the same reply from the forum Admin ("no way that I'll pass my hand over the blade")....

At that moment, I went down to the garage to test it......I was lucky to wear my brown pants that day......project deleted and the pictures removed from the posts....

I don't have any problems to cut small (very small) pieces or 1/16" narrow strips. I use a "narrow strips sled" and my push stick is far from the blade (till today, it didn't touch the blade with any push stick).

By the way, I use the "narrow strips sled" not only for "narrow strips" but also for "wide strips"....

On the pics, you can see it "in action".

I hope that the "High blade" will not scare you. As for me, I love high blade but I don't care because in any case I don't see it....

niki
hey nikki is that tension roller system regular steel or spring steel? doesnt that put a curve in the very end from the board not being supported or held agaisnt your sled at the end of the cut?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Grandpa Larry (cute baby)

It's a regular steel.

I'm using it already more than 2 years for all my ripping operations (including thin strips) and so far, I didn't have any problems of curving at the end of the workpiece.

On the pic below, you can see a "manual" version of the roller/feather-board and again, no problems of "curving"...

Regards
niki

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 10