Japanese Doll Maker

Ahh, the Kokeishi dolls.... it's fascinating watching him work with only a can like chuck on the one end... it's an interesting tool that he uses also... with some kind of hook in the end of it... his lathe looks like just the motor part, no change in speed or spindle, just a motor.

I've read that some of those dolls from some of the more re-known turners can go for pretty big $$. I want to try one some day, but haven't yet... I do pattern some of my pepper mills after them.

Japanese turners have some interesting methods that seem foreign to us Westerners, but they definitely have the process figured out. Thanks for the video, Dan. :thumb:

Wow thanks for posting that link Dan never knew of these. As Bill says talent there.

I was fascinated by the painting and how there is no bleed on the lines. Wonder how the ink/paint is constituted to prevent bleed or do you think there is finish applied first.

Anyone have an idea of the type of wood and its hardness?

I love this kind of genuine local art/craft and have purchased a fair bit from various countries in my past travels. Only problem becomes what to do with it.
Got me thinking if a guy like this has an apprentice that will keep this going into the future.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Wow thanks for posting that link Dan never knew of these. As Bill says talent there.

I was fascinated by the painting and how there is no bleed on the lines. Wonder how the ink/paint is constituted to prevent bleed or do you think there is finish applied first.

I love this kind of genuine local art/craft and have purchased a fair bit from various countries in my past travels. Only problem becomes what to do with it.
Got me thinking if a guy like this has an apprentice that will keep this going into the future.

According to Wikipedia, the woods are cherry or dogwood... the cherry for hardness and the dogwood for softer woods.

Waiting to have Stuart chime in on this very interesting video. Thanks Dan.

It is very interesting, but I know I'm going to sound like a jerk, but when you consider that is all the guy does, no other form, maybe different sizes, but nothing like a bowl or a cup or a platter etc. then it is, to me, less impressive. If you did the same thing for 8 hours a day, six days a week for the vast majority of your life, you should be good at it, period. :D

The paint is not a paint it is actually an ink, and he uses a Fude which is a brush that is designed to write with.
He will turn a bunch of them then sit down and paint them all, he does one color on each one at a time, then changes color and does the next one so ink is dry from the previous one.

Most of these guys are at the age where they are dying off, and they do not have anyone taking over their business, but there are a few that make a decent living at it, so it will not completely disappear, yet.

I wonder how long that gentleman has sat there, year after year, turning the same thing over and over... I do not think I could do that, even if I had the talent

I totally agree!

Ahh, the Kokeishi dolls.... it's fascinating watching him work with only a can like chuck on the one end... it's an interesting tool that he uses also... with some kind of hook in the end of it... his lathe looks like just the motor part, no change in speed or spindle, just a motor.

I've read that some of those dolls from some of the more re-known turners can go for pretty big $$. I want to try one some day, but haven't yet... I do pattern some of my pepper mills after them.

This type of turning they turn on the underside of the wood, they use tools that they make themselves in their own blacksmith shop. Except for the electric motor they are making these about the same way they did well over 100 years ago, maybe add sandpaper to that, but otherwise it is the same. The cup chuck is very cool for that application.

According to Wikipedia, the woods are cherry or dogwood... the cherry for hardness and the dogwood for softer woods.

You are correct Chuck and there is also a Japanese Maple that is used, but I cannot recall what it is called, I could google it, but the name will mean nothing to any of us :D

Cheers!

Thanks Stu, you make a good point about the "talent" aspect. I share Pauls point of how people manage to do the same thing for everyday of their life.
But then there are many that do work daily that is incredibly defined and routine and i know for sure i could never do even a single day of repetition. I battle come Xmas time making multiples of the same item for gifts.
Stu is that any specific ink or is it available commercially? I use a fountain pen often and normal ink in those even bleeds on some paper i just cant see it not bleeding on wood.

Rob the black in is just charcoal ground into a very fine powder and then water or alcohol added, I don't know what they use for the other colors but it was at one time something natural.

I have to agree with Stu, on the repetition of these turning processes, will make a person very good at making the dolls, but isn't that the way it is for so many Japanese craftsmen? And like you said, there really aren't very many left, and even less picking up these crafts, so they are a dying breed. Too bad.

It's the same for good gold leaf gilders. It took quite a few years for me to get good at it, and now i have all but lost the ability to perform due to health reasons, and I don't see very many taking up this art. I think the same can be said of the Japanese doll makers, and it is a shame.

The guy is good, and I wish I could learn how to make them.

Oh, and I was thinking that he was using inks for the decoration. The brush he was using is so much different from the lettering and striping brushes we use. Very interesting.

Aloha.

Turning a fun hobby with me... when you do that much repetition, it becomes a job... I've always said that when my turning becomes a job, I'll stop doing it. I had a job for 40 years, now is my time to play.