Something is conspiring against me...

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Yesterday was not a good day for traveling, wind gusts above 40 mph.

I had work todo so we decided to hold off on our trip until today.

Figured we'd get ready and be gone.

Trying to get packed up and ready to go, and I'm trying to air up the tires. Gotta have a different pressure in them when the big heavy camper is on versus when it is empty.

So, I'm out there and I'm trying to find the rear inner valve stems on the dual rear wheels. I took the truck in last october to get it looked at to make sure it was ready for a trip we did then. Wouldn't you know it, both inner stems are hidden by the outside tires. So now what was a 10 minute job just expanded to about an hour, since I have to jack the camper up, then jack the truck up, swap around the tires...

Fun Fun Fun...

I'm not leaving today, I'm skipping the knap-in, and I'm going camping tomorrow... :bang::bang:

Bummer.:(:(

Guess you'll have some stories to tell when you get here. Not to worry. I have lots of cutoffs and scrap for the fire pit - and a few cold ones in the shop fridge.

That's a very philosophical thought Mohammad. And you know what, it really helps put me in a better frame of mind about the whole thing. I'm not going to sweat it. Just going to kick back and relax, and get everything 1000% ready to day and just wake up at 6:00am and take off tomorrow. Might have to change the plans a little, but a good time will still be had by all! :thumb:

And you know,

I'm feeling much more relaxed and ready now.

So a little change of plans, and we are readyready now...

Forgot to add that a rat or something made a nest on top of the engine block and chewed up some wires. No engine light or anything, so we went for the trip anyway... :rofl:

Only problem is that apparently those wires control the turbo on the diesel engine. So made the whole trip naturally aspirated. Got 13mpg on the way there, around 11 on the way back. 10-11 is normal anyway, so not a huge deal, just didn't have as much power for hill climbing as usual. I'll take it to the shop soon, and figure out a way to keep the rodents out of the vehicles.

They had done something similar to the pathfinder last year... :eek:

Brent, You are pursuing a rare thing that flint knapping. It just so happens that my best friend is a master flint knapper. He is fairly well known in flint knapping circles. His name is Mike Cook and his web site is www.artofishi.com
I just checked it to make sure and it is currently down for maintenance. But make sure you give it a look sometime.

I have been making handle material for some of his knives. Stuff like prickly pear cactus skeletons cast in plastic resin and "molten metal" poly cast handles.

If you ever head up to Michigan give me a buzz and I'll introduce you to him. I am sure he would be glad to give you some pointers and spend some time knapping with you.

Now in regards to your rough day...........I had plans to spend the day fishing for steelhead. The weather was miserable with freezing rain. My neighbor called first thing because a couple of large branches broke off of a big box elder tree and landed in the drive through where the milk truck has to go to pump out his bulk tank. I grabbed my smaller chainsaw because my big saw was laying on a table torn down for repairs. Two pulls on the starter rope and the rope broke. Went back and put the big saw back together and got the biggest branch sawed up and then the drive sprocket blew apart on the big saw.

Went home and got my truck to load the wood and turned on the wipers DUUUUHHHH. with all the ice buildup I managed to burn out the wiper motor. I was ready to go back to bed and pretend the day never happened. So I ended up making a trip into town and bought lots of parts for the saws and a new wiper motor. Been thinking all the time that maybe I should have went and froze myself fishing instead.
To end the day properly I went down in the basement to tie up some spawn sacks from some fresh steelhead roe a friend had dropped off and found out one of the kids had left the basement door open and the dog went down and ate a bunch of the roe........sheesh.