Urgent help

Alfredo Alamo

Hi you guys I have been posting some threads looking for help on building my own lathe. I just found a DUNLAP LATHE MODEL # 534-0601 built in the late 30's early 40's (see picture) for $140. The guy says it is working good. Should I buy this and rebuild it according to what I want? Would this be a good thing to do?

Thank you

Alfredo

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 63
Alfredo,

It's hard to say from the picture. Here's a link for you:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19039

Looks like it's mostly a spindle lathe. Here's another link, with original catalog pictures and some background:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsmanwood/page5.html

Again, it's hard to say. It might work, or you might find the bearing's just weren't made for bowl turning. Note the original had a 9" swing, which would mean under five inches from the spindle to the bed. People who have actually seen one, or who know bearings better than I do (which is just about anybody) can tell you more...

Thanks,

Bill

(ps. Note the original price! I wonder how much that is in today's dollars? ;)

Last edited:
Alfredo, it looks like from the Sawmill Creek post that it has MT 1 and a 3/4-16 spindle which is small if you are going to make the swing bigger and turn larger blanks. That said, it might be a good deal to get and play with to get more ideas on how to build your own. Good luck once again in this adventure. :)

In any case can I boost it up? I mean better bearings, Increase the size of the base so I can get more swing?

Thank you

[size=+1]Not for $140.00!

Dunlap was Sears lowest quality/priced line of tools back in the '30s~'50's.

This lathe, if it's like the one I used to have, has bronze bushings for bearings, and the shaft is a solit 5/8". Shopsmith drives, etc. will fit its headstock, but there's no provision for adding a live center on the tailstock.

Also, the beds are formed iron - not cast, or even the tube that Sears used in later years.

I paid $40.00 for mine, and was ashamed to sell it a couple years later. I junked it instead.

YMMV...[/size]