Building a Chess Board?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been asked to give a price estimate for building a pretty straightforward chess board. Before arriving at a price, I need to figure out how I'd like to build it. I can think of several ways it can be done, but I'm curious what other folks' experience might have been. End grain or face grain? Solid or veneer? I'm leaning towards thin stock (say 1/4" or so) laminated to a stable substrate like MDF, with a simple frame around the edge to conceal the MDF. The back would be veneered to also hide the MDF.

Any suggestions?

Vaughn,

I had a request to do the same, but my request came with a stipulation that the playing surface be made from porcelain tiles:

DSC00011.JPG DSC00012.JPG DSC00013.JPG DSC00014.JPG

DSC00015.JPG DSC00016.JPG DSC00006.JPG

I didn't like the concept at first, but I'm not displeased with how it came out.

Just another variation...
- Marty -

Greetings Vaughn,

I built a chessboard 30 years ago and its still going strong. Maple and Walnut
2" squares that were 1/4" thick - these squares were glued onto 1/2" cabinet grade plywood. The entire board was then edged in walnut. There has been no movement at all.

The board was finished with varnish.

Good Luck

Bob

End grain or face grain? Solid or veneer? I'm leaning towards thin stock (say 1/4" or so) laminated to a stable substrate like MDF,

If you veneer, you pretty much have to go with face grain, no?
And if you are veneering, I would bet that even thinner than 1/4" thick pieces would be fine, if you want a thinner/lighter board.

I can't remember where I saw it, maybe on NCWoodworkers, but one of the guys showed a chess board he made and chamfered each of the squares. It really added a nice touch to the board. If I can find it I'll post a picture.

Here it is. Chess Board

Last edited:
art, burl has no grain per-se.......it`s all wrapped up in one package, end,face,edge and knots;)

I was worrying about the glue strength of face grain. Didn't even think about burl.

Having made an end-grain cutting board with walnut, I know that end grain will finish much darker, which might be nice for the contrast between the black/white squares.

Sorry, but repeating much of this reply in several threads - a lot of veneering questions popping up all at once. I recently took a semester-long veneering class - http://www.palomar.edu/woodworking - where we each made numerous projects including starbursts, mariner's stars and game boards. So my vote would be for a veneered project. Be glad to cull my class notes and handouts and send more detailed replies to specific questions.

I have notes and a handout on veneering a chess board on MDF (with 1/40" veneer); can veneer edges or (probably better) trim with solid stock. I need to find my article. See also http://www.marquetry.org/chess_board.htm This assumes you have or will make a veneer press or a vacuum bag system. A good basic veneering book would help to get you going in the right direction. My personal experience is that joewoodworker.com is a great site for info and supplies and he has excellent customer service. There are a lot of tips on making your own system. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll mull over the different approaches for a bit before I decide which way to go. The 1/4" hardwood over a stable substrate would be doable with my current tools and skills, although this would also be a good excuse to try vacuum bag veneering, too.

And Mike, your link was very useful...thanks. If I go the veneer route you can expect to see more questions. ;)

Thanks again -

I have an old-old video I made of a Roy Underhill show where he made a chessboard. The way the wood is cut and the alingment of the grain is very important as if done wrong, the squares will pop. Don't know if he ever put this tutorial into one of his books but is worth a search. Good project. I have an idea for an oversize chessboard with, equally, oversize pieces I want to make with a combo of lathe, duplicating machine and hand carving. Ambitious project I hope to do one day. That's why I save the video.

Thanks for the David Marks tips, Bill and Ken. His method is about what I had in mind. I'll have to check my TiVo and see if I have that particular episode. Even if I don't, I can get enough ideas to proceed based on the text and pics in the link Ken listed. (For something like this, I wouldn't expect to need the plans, though. Just like I probably wouldn't buy plans for a cutting board.) ;)