Post your weekend projects.....

Arnie Grammon

First thing Saturday morning I need start wrapping up the sanding :( portion of the Mission bed I am working on. As it is, my wife is starting to think I'm a real slacker. She's already made the quilt (she does very nice work), and she gently reminds me daily :eek: that it would be nice to get the bed up and in the room with the rest of the matching set I've built earlier.

Here's the project.......from a picture I posted earlier in the shop tour portion of this forum. Squint and you can see it on the other side of the table saw.
shop_2_003.jpg

Later Saturday the family will jump in the truck and head to a Basketball tournament in La Grande (about 50 miles down the road). My son is on the Baker City all star team.

Then it's back to Baker and more sanding :( for the rest of the afternoon....that is.....until the evening Wood shows come on DIY.:)

I play guitar on the Worship Team Sunday morning in church, then it's back to the shop for more sanding :( :(

Did I mention I'm not crazy about detail sanding?
:D

So.....what is on your to-do list for the weekend?

Thanks Arnie for startiing the weekend thread. I usualy start oone but since I have undergone a change in my working status my week end will start on Monday. I have a meeting in the morning then I work at the showroom from 10-7 on Sat and 11-6 on Sunday. Mon and Tue (my weekend) will be spent moving so no woodworking this week. so what up with other member of the family.

First thing Saturday morning I need start wrapping up the sanding :( portion of the Mission bed I am working on. ...
Did I mention I'm not crazy about detail sanding?
:D

So.....what is on your to-do list for the weekend?
Let me get this straight. The man who dislikes sanding builds a bed with lots of little slats to sand? As LOML would say...Good thinking. :rofl: (Based on the picture, it looks like it's gonna be worth the effort, though.) :thumb:

...I work at the showroom from 10-7 on Sat and 11-6 on Sunday....
Showroom? Did you get a new gig that I missed hearing about?

Since the lathe is on the disabled list for the weekend as I await replacement parts, any shop stuff I do will be flatwork. I've got a couple cutting board orders that I need to get started on, and have plenty of other cleaning and organizing that really should happen. And if the weather's decent, I've got a boatload of yard chores that could stand to be be done.

Well, as I have posted in the past, I'm very slow these days but persistent.
I’m keeping track of this as I go. This weekend I’ll finish cutting the connecting braces and supports and making the jointer do both it’s job and the planer. (I sure wish that planer would hurry up and get here!!!) :(
It’s starting to look more like a counter base every day, at least to me. But then I have the finished picture in my head. :rofl:
It doesn’t matter to me that it’s 2X4 technology; I’m having a ball. :thumb:

Change pages at the top of each page

http://www.dontee.sistmllc.com/cornercounter/index.html

DT

Decent weather? We are under another winter storm advisory, expecting rain turn to hail turn to snow late in the day, snow all day Sunday, into Monday. No turning unless I find two specific blanks for a couple of pens to finish an order. Want to finish a floor to ceiling kitchen pantry cabinet so I can disassemble and start sanding it by Monday.
Great looking bed Arnie. Don't envy the sanding to do on that but like Vaughn stated, will be worth it in the end.:thumb:
Don, you the one moving? Man I hate moving. They are going to have to plant me on this farm, I have acquired to much junk to even think of moving!:doh:
Matt, plastic? Better than metal plumbing I think.:huh:
Vaughn, if I had read your post about your lathe last year, I would never had purchased my Sears. Been a good lathe for me so far. Hope yours gets straightened out. Decent weather :rofl: !!

... Vaughn, if I had read your post about your lathe last year, I would never had purchased my Sears. Been a good lathe for me so far. Hope yours gets straightened out...
If yours was manufactured after about 2004 or so, you shouldn't run into the same problems I did. I confirmed with a Palmgren technician that mine (which was sold to the original owner in May 2003) likely falls in the range that had problems with the drive wheels chewing up belts. I've got new wheels (about $15) and yet another drive belt (about $27) on the way, so I should be spinning before too long.

Despite the problems with my lathe, I still think that model (and the Palmgren brother) is a good lathe for the retail price, and good work can be produced on it. Since I got mine used for about $300, I figure I've already made that much money back with it. You should have no regrets about purchasing yours...I'm sure it'll do well for you.

Let me get this straight. The man who dislikes sanding builds a bed with lots of little slats to sand? As LOML would say...Good thinking. :rofl:

A local WWer friend that does high end jewelery boxes stopped by yesterday afternoon and we had a long philosophical conversation on the merits of sanding to 600 grit :eek:

I normally stop at 220, but he is trying to convince me that it is worth it to go the extra mile or two.

He does fabulous work that begs to to be touched. I guess I am trying to come to grips with the reality that I will never be high end. :rofl:

My weekend project is to assemble this pile of lumber

temp1.jpg

Into something that resembles this.
overhead_cab2.jpg

And when my feet give out I will spend some quality time with the computer working in SketchUp. I am working on a design for liquor cabinet my sister wants. She wants something along the lines of this. I am taking two or three different ones she likes and we making our own design to fit her needs. Chefs are so picky! ;)

wine cab.jpg

Thanks to Dave I am starting to REALLY like SU and be able to produce some decent models.

Jeff

The bench is coming along nicely. Need to give a shout out to Larry Williams, who lent me, all the way from Arkansas, a #6 stanley jointer user plane that is making quick and beautiful work of the benchtop. Need to fabricate those wonderdogs. I've discovered, to my pain, the router table has a slight sag, so I've got some angle iron I'm hoping to cut to 3' lengths, and drill for 1/4" lag screws. Not sure it'll work. I thought MDF was supposed to stay flat. :(

But the big thing: Doorlink is away for the day, and that means I have a chance to finally get the old refrigerator out of my shop!!!! Maybe she won't notice! ;) Means I can do some *significant* rearrangement. With a little luck, I'll get to some picture frames too...

Thanks,

Bill

One of the great rules of life is: NEVER START A HOME PLUMBING PROJECT ON A WEEKEND!
Fer certain, fer sure something will go wrong. Plumbers charge double or triple on weekends. :rofl:
Start on Monday and everything will go smoothly with no problems. :thumb:
That rule is only for wimps. :p

I am doing plumbing this weeked too. In the past, I have never needed the "help" of a proffesional plumber, and I very very much doubt that this will change any time soon. :D

We are politically active types. Tonight we are going to our Republican Committee's annual Lincoln Day Dinner. We will overpay for a lousy dinner, listen to boring speeches and pretend we are having a good time. :rofl:
But, for more normal activities, I need to turn two pens. One is an antler European with a rifle clip. This is a special order. The other will be a Gentlemen's fountain pen (large) made from ambonya burl. If I don't screw them up, both should be very attractive pens.

Attachments

• pen blanks.jpg
    pen blanks.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 7
Decent weather? We are under another winter storm advisory, expecting rain turn to hail turn to snow late in the day, snow all day Sunday, into Monday.
Man I hate moving. They are going to have to plant me on this farm, I have acquired to much junk to even think of moving!:doh:

Johathan,
Don't ever say never. When I moved to KS from LA in '76, I had REA drill a hole for the outhouse, (a temporary measure since we had no water as of yet). I told the family that when I died, they could just slide the outhouse over, dump me in and slide it back, 'cause I WASN'T EVER gonna move again!!!!
Now 30 yrs later, I'm faced with the upcoming move in 2 yrs to my retirement home in MO. The sweetener to that is my new 40 x 40 shop instead of the 10 x 16 one, and a new home instead of this 100+ yr old one!

As for the weather, sounds like a carbon copy of ours, except for 40 - 50 mph winds, with snow...I otta be snowed in with all the drifts for at least a day until the plow makes it out to the country. Gee, too bad I can't make it to town to work, guess I'll just scoop my way to the shop instead.

Last edited:
I would love to post a weekend project but the best I could do today was knock the 25" TV off the stand on to it's tube and distroy my means of connection to Norm and his great efforts, How will I be able to tune in next week to see Table Saw 101.... I am sure the world is still echoing the sounds of my displeasure when the event occured, please forgive my discretions and if I offended any of your ears, I appologize. :eek:

My god they have a thick chunk of glass in the front. :eek: No wonder they are so heavy...

I would love to post a weekend project but the best I could do today was knock the 25" TV off the stand on to it's tube and destroy my means of connection to Norm and his great efforts, How will I be able to tune in next week to see Table Saw 101.....
Bummer!

One consolation. HDTV Plasmas have dropped about 30% in price over the last month or two. Some really good deals out there. And....PBS is moving all their shows it that direction!

Last edited:
That rule is only for wimps. :p

I am doing plumbing this weeked too. In the past, I have never needed the "help" of a proffesional plumber, and I very very much doubt that this will change any time soon. :D

Until recently, we never had access to the BORGs. Inevitably, some small, two-bit, part would be needed and it couldn't be purchased until Monday. For plumbing, I'll take the wimp route.
Last night political dinner was per usual. Upside, we sat across from some folks we hadn't met previously. Very interesting couple. We talked photography a lot. That helped. Our $3.99 dinner was OK except we paid $25.00 for it. :rofl: