Up Comming Class here at Whispering Woods

Roy Millsaps

Hi everyone, I'm going to be doing a 2 day relief carving class here in the shop for anyone wanting to learn relief carving or just wants to try it, Cost of class here is $45.00 that is for all the materials for this class, if you have carving tools already its cheaper.

I'm also thinking about doing here on the forum at no cost but I want members to protisapation in it not just follow along an comment. yon can pick up the materials. I'm talking about bass wood from Michaels or Hobby Lobby an even at Wal-Mart an carving tools from Woodcraft or craft store that sell them
So what you guys think for the forum here
If I do this you will need to post pictures as you go

Sorry Canny Spell

only carving tools you will need is just basic ones, they don't need to be expensive I use Japanese ones on the bass wood. Here is what I recommend using for bass wood you can get it ay Wal-Mart or Michaels or if you have any 4/4 bass will work to

002.jpg

Do you need a formal statement of intent for something other than agreed upon accountability via pictures? No lurkers allowed? How will this work?

Also, what is the time frame/commitment? I have carving tools and even some bass wood somewhere, but I am totally unclear about this.

So I can't say I'm in - and I can't say I am not.

Do you need a formal statement of intent for something other than agreed upon accountability via pictures? No lurkers allowed? How will this work?

Also, what is the time frame/commitment? I have carving tools and even some bass wood somewhere, but I am totally unclear about this.

So I can't say I'm in - and I can't say I am not.

No this is a teaching thread there is no time limits all I ask just show how you are doing, I'm hopeing this will encourage others to want to learn something simple, this is just a basic relief carving for beginner's. Some are going to be fast, some slow. I don't care if it takes a year to do. I'm am going to encourage others to make comments an hoping others that carve to jump in to. I'm just going to show how I do it, there is others in the forum that can help an be Mentors for everyone that want to learn something new
I will be also be doing a basic Inlay course an a Intarsia course an Marquetry course over the year. Hoping everyone can use the courses to enhance there projects in the long run

Maybe a class area would help so the threads can be found easy, I also think this will bring in more participations to the forum

OK at a year I can likely make that happen :rolleyes:

I'm in, but I can't promise I'll use the exact same wood told our follow your lead exactly ;). My relief carving skills could use a bit of work though so I'm happy to take what I can get.

Paul are they new or have they been sharpened before, if there new most of the time they just need to be honed, If not I use diamond cards an Norton wet stones then I use Flexcuts Slip strop with gold compound to finish the honing

If unsure slow speed grinder or tormet wooks great to. Theres many ways to sharpen go on U-tube an see

Roy,

Can't tell from picture the size/thickness of that piece of basswood you gave a sample of to use.

I have a 8/4x 10"w x 8' long piece of basswood that I picked up several years ago and never used it. Also, noticed the basswood in the pic seems to be end grain, which I wouldn't have by just cutting a piece of the end of the slab that I have. Will it make any differences?

Rob

Roy,

Can't tell from picture the size/thickness of that piece of basswood you gave a sample of to use.

I have a 8/4x 10"w x 8' long piece of basswood that I picked up several years ago and never used it. Also, noticed the basswood in the pic seems to be end grain, which I wouldn't have by just cutting a piece of the end of the slab that I have. Will it make any differences?

Rob

Nope you are good there Bob you can go deeper than the others an have more details with the thicker wood, just going to use the tools a little bit different that's all. You are going to be carving with the grain for better details

I don't have any carving tools so I'm going to have to get a basic set. I've seen the Exacto set that has all different kinds of profiles on the blades. Not very expensive either compared to ones like flexcut.
Are they any good for what you have in mind for us ??

I don't have any carving tools so I'm going to have to get a basic set. I've seen the Exacto set that has all different kinds of profiles on the blades. Not very expensive either compared to ones like flexcut.
Are they any good for what you have in mind for us ??

I need to see a picture of them you can get a set of carving tool that are cheap, from Michaels, Hobby Lobby or even Wal-Mart, but they need to be honed also some from HF that are cheap Reason for cheap some might like carving an want the better tools in the long run an some wont. Here is a set from Woodcraft for $24.69 but the same set at Hobby Lobby is around $6-10. Everything depends on what you want to do I recommend a cheap set just to see if you even want to relief carve By the way I still have my first Japanese set I got for $22.00 from woodcraft an still use them
Remember you will need to hone them all most of the time unless they are already done for you out of the package
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005164/6423/Detail-Carving-Tool-Set-8-piece.aspx

I have an idea. If we all were in a physical on-site class together, we would be able to see what everyone had and how they need to use the tools. Including sharpening, honing, end grain, face grain, etc.

Not to tell Roy how to run his class but I would find it real helpful if we each posted pictures of our tools and sharpening/honing gear.

And when will we begin? I work better with calendar dates that are scheduled.

I failed to pick up the carving tools yesterday when I was rummaging through the Putter Palace. Darn! And my bass wood is in Arizona. Sheesh! I will buy a piece of wood. So end grain or face grain, Roy? And how big? I'll have to make another 50 mile round trip to get the tools. The sharpening stuff is already here. What about clamping the workpiece? Any safety items to have on hand? Gloves, finger tips? Certainly a box of band-aids!

I'll take pix of my sharpening gear tomorrow and post them. Too dark now.

Roy is posting pix of his stuff. Maybe he call tell us what he favors and why?