Gotta brag, it's a gas.......

Frank Fusco

……….actually, it is a Gast vacuum pump. It is a ¼ hp with gauges, filter/mufflers and another small filter of some kind. Bought it from a machinist friend who goes to auctions and gets all kinds of stuff very reasonably. I paid him $100.00 for this. He probably got it for $5.00 but I don’t care, it’s still a good price. He has had it open and says it looks like it has never been used. I’ll probably use it for stabilizing pen blanks and small wood items. Might get the necessaries (expensive) to make a vacuum chuck for the lathe. But that will be down the road a bit. There is no end to what can be bought for a shop.

Attachments

• vacuum pump.jpg
    vacuum pump.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 62
I've got one of those - it's a rotary vane vacuum pump / compressor. Mine will be hooked up to a vacuum press bag for veneering when i get to it. These suckers are pretty stout, but are a bit noisey and do heat up.
Have fun with it.
Paul Hubbman

I've got one of those - it's a rotary vane vacuum pump / compressor. Mine will be hooked up to a vacuum press bag for veneering when i get to it. These suckers are pretty stout, but are a bit noisey and do heat up.
Have fun with it.
Paul Hubbman

I wondered if it was powerful enough for pressing. Actually, this one, with the filter/muffler thingys is very quiet. Dunno about the heat yet.

Nice snag, Frank. :thumb: As far as a vacuum chuck, you've got the expensive part handled already. The rest of the system can be assembled from off-the-shelf hardware store parts. Just ask Stu. ;)

It would be worth opening up and checking the vanes. I aerate my pond with one that runs 24X7 365. One time it stopped and the carbon vanes needed replaced. You are supposed to replace them at 50% wear. I ran them into the 85% used range and they slipped into the channel and stopped the pump. Once the vanes were replaced I got it going in no time.

It would be worth opening up and checking the vanes. I aerate my pond with one that runs 24X7 365. One time it stopped and the carbon vanes needed replaced. You are supposed to replace them at 50% wear. I ran them into the 85% used range and they slipped into the channel and stopped the pump. Once the vanes were replaced I got it going in no time.

The fellow I bought it from checked them. He said it looks like it has never been used. The Gast site sells rebuild kits.