Left over corian

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Well, the new counter top went in last Friday and it looks great. Much better installation.

The installer was nice enough to leave the old Corian counter top - enough for me to do both vanities and then some. It's the "then some" I have questions about.

First, anyone who wants a chunk for pen turning, etc., drop me a PM. I have some I'd like to give away - not too much, but some.

Second, I've always had problems with cut off sleds not staying flat. I was just out in the shop looking at the left over corian and thought, "Wow! What a great material for a cut off sled!"

So, a few questions. Will it hold a screw or will everything have to be epoxied? Also, what other jigs or fixtures would you build if you had a few pieces of this stuff lying around?:dunno:

Last edited:
I know you can drill holes & put bolts through them, etc.

It seems that I knew a guy that drilled and threaded for screws to mount a router...
You could just try it on small piece to see how it works...

I think you can glue-up pieces too... just like panels, etc.

... and cut with regular ww'g tools... routers, saws, etc.

Sounds good!

Corian is a great material but you have to use widia saws/ tools to cut it unles you want to dull them real quick.

As per puting bolts on it you should work it as if it was metal. So you can make a hole and thread it and it will hold.

Remember that you need a special glue to glue it, epoxy may work but I do not guarantee it. On thing that many people forget is that you can bend it by heating it. When I was a student the former class made a project out of corian and I still got some scraps of it somewhere in a box.

I've thought corian would make nice knife scales. Does anyone think that would work or am I way off track?

It works nicely for knife scales. No pix (I gave the knives away), but I've made about half a dozen kitchen knives using Corian® scales. You can either use brass rivets (Lee Valley has them) or epoxy to attach them.

First use of scrap corian - new face for the fence on my table saw. Polished it down from 320 through 1000 grit paper then gave it a shot of boshield. It's slick as snot on a January morning in New Hampshire!

Then Rennie, your next project should be a matching ZCI for the table saw! DSCN2735 3612 ZCI.jpgDSCN2736 3612 ZCI.jpg It routes very easily. The next one I make, when I get my hands on some more Corian, is going to have the dove tailed sides and insert that slides in from one end with one screw to hold it in place. There is a how to series on cutting one out of aluminum here: http://tinyurl.com/44ngass See the Betterley I patterned this one off of that Infinity tools sells: http://tinyurl.com/3naju6m And I found that using a cheap Harbor Freight tap and die set worked just fine for cutting threads and they hold just fine. Can't anchor them down hard, but you don't need to on something like this. Jim.

Last edited:
Corian can be worked almost like wood.
But, as for a dead flat surface, not the best choice. It will sag with weight. It's bend temp. is about 300 degrees.
CA is used to glue it up. Pen makers like to segment with Corian and use CA as the glue.