SCMS Station Build/Questions/Ideas

Stuart Ablett

I'm embarking on a fairly major restructure of my little Dungeon, I 'think' I have it worked out, but I want you all to put another set of eyes on this and see if you can poke holes in my idea, and help me make it better.

Sliding Compound Miter Saw = SCMS just in case that was not clear to everyone.

Right now I have a saw that has served me well, the Hitachi C8FB saw, the one problem that I have with it is that it takes up a LOT of space, as the rails that the saw slides on stick out the back of the saw a long ways.

My shop is not large, it is fairly packed with tools, etc.

Here are some pics of the existing set up.......

scms_left1.jpg scms_right.jpg scms_right_tall.jpg
Yeah, it is a mess :eek:
The other thing that I want to change is that the DC pick-up point is above the saw, this was a mistake, I should have made it below the saw and had gravity on my side :doh:

scms_bench_space.jpg
This is the space between the front of the existing saw, and the workbench is about 80cm, (31 1/2") the space below the SCMS is now for cut off, but honestly, it has become a junk collector........

scms_cut_off_space.jpg
Yep, wasted space.

The saw I'd like to replace my venerable SCMS with is, again a Hitachi........

C7RSB_flyer.jpg
This is the C7RSB SCMS, it has a slightly smaller blade, which would not be the best thing, but the next sized up saw with this new "Side Rail" set up, is the 12" saw, which is a LOT more expensive and it a LOT bigger saw, which I do not think I need :dunno:

The old saw takes up a full 100cm (40") of space, because the rails stick out so far from the back of the saw, the newer saw is only 73.5cm (29") deep, that is a gain of at least 10", nearly 11".

The C7RSB saw sells, street price for around $600, I know I can sell my C8FB old saw for about $200, so that is a difference of $400, and I'd get another 10"+ or so of shop space, good for me!:thumb:

OK, on to the new SCMS station, I'm going to be putting the 10 jointer under the SCMS station, to do this, I cannot have any legs under the station, so I'm thinking of building some steel brackets on the wall that would support the work station.

Oh heck, I've got to go do a delivery, more later...... :wave:

OK, I'm back for a bit......

old_scms_station.jpg
This is the basic layout with reference to the worktable in the center of the shop, the worktable will mostly become the SawStop when I get it.

new_scms_station.jpg
With the new SCMS I'd go from about 31" of space to 41" of space, that is 10", might not seem like much to many, but it would really open up some space for me. The router table would be come part of the work table in the center of the shop, in conjunction with the DeWalt BT 744 table saw, and in the router table's place, I'd park Big Blue, the resaw bandsaw there, which would unclutter one more end of my workshop.

Going to have to show the design of the SCMS stand next.....

More to come.

Cheers!

...This is the C7RSB SCMS, it has a slightly smaller blade, which would not be the best thing, but the next sized up saw with this new "Side Rail" set up, is the 12" saw, which is a LOT more expensive and it a LOT bigger saw, which I do not think I need ...

Interesting... Is that a 10" saw, or is it smaller? The model # sorta suggests 7". I haven't seen that saw for sale here in the U.S., but would be very interested if it was. I have a very old (first year) CF8B that's getting long in the tooth, and like you, I don't want/need/have room for a big 12" saw.

Hitachi does sell a 12" saw here with the 'side rail' configuration like the one you show, but nothing smaller (that I know of). That one looks like it'd be the near-perfect replacement for my old workhorse.

Stu, an extra 10" in your small shop is a great find...just think of all the turning blanks you could pile up.:D

I've seen the 12" "side rail" and liked the look of it and it's small footprint...when I upgrade from me current CMS to a slider in the future, I hope they have a 10" one...more than enough blade for me.

I'm embarking on a fairly major restructure of my little Dungeon,

Seems to me you do this roughly annually... :wave:

I'm going to be putting the 10 jointer under the SCMS station, to do this, I cannot have any legs under the station, so I'm thinking of building some steel brackets on the wall that would support the work station.

Hmm, you already have a table/bench that the jointer slides under. That wouldn't work pushed against the wall?

Oh, and if you can't have legs, and the jointer is going under it, then there sure can't be much room for putting DC under the SCMS as you stated? :huh: That's going to be tight.

Have you figured out how your new TS + Router are going to be oriented in the middle of the shop? That'd help me visualize better. And how tall is the jointer?

Never a dull moment in Tokyo...

best
...art

The way you utilized space in that shoebox shop always amazes me.
Would a 7" saw do what you need? A 12" is usually overkill for a home shop but the 10s seem perfect, IMHO.
And, replacing that saw would mean a major rebuild of all that cabinetry around and behind the existing. But, I'm sure you have already made that decision.
Aren't there other ten inchers you could consider?
Oh, another thought.....would you also have to replace a library of blades?

With the new saw being a dual compound, you will need to rethink the layout/construction of your table, with the saw more in the center than the one you have now....no?

Also appears that your router table is a tad shorter than the current table, so you'll need to go up or down on one or the other. Or...just the pic appears so?

Here's what I did for my miter saw station.

09gMSBench.jpg

Below is a side view diagram. I built baffles into the wall behind the station. The combination of the enclosure on top and below the saw and a 5" DC port keep dust and chips under control.

09hMSBench.jpg

Interesting... Is that a 10" saw, or is it smaller? The model # sorta suggests 7". I haven't seen that saw for sale here in the U.S., but would be very interested if it was. I have a very old (first year) CF8B that's getting long in the tooth, and like you, I don't want/need/have room for a big 12" saw.

Hitachi does sell a 12" saw here with the 'side rail' configuration like the one you show, but nothing smaller (that I know of). That one looks like it'd be the near-perfect replacement for my old workhorse.

Jim, you are correct the saw is a 7", well, 190mm, which is actually 7.48". I know I could not cut tall crown moulding on it, but honestly, I've only had a couple of times in the last few years that I've been wanting a 10" saw. I checked the US Hitachi site and they do NOT sell this saw in the US :dunno:

Stu, an extra 10" in your small shop is a great find...just think of all the turning blanks you could pile up.:D

I've seen the 12" "side rail" and liked the look of it and it's small footprint...when I upgrade from me current CMS to a slider in the future, I hope they have a 10" one...more than enough blade for me.
I would not mind the 10" at all, or even the side rail 8", but they have not come out with either of those.

Seems to me you do this roughly annually... :wave:

Hmm, you already have a table/bench that the jointer slides under. That wouldn't work pushed against the wall?

Oh, and if you can't have legs, and the jointer is going under it, then there sure can't be much room for putting DC under the SCMS as you stated? :huh: That's going to be tight.

Have you figured out how your new TS + Router are going to be oriented in the middle of the shop? That'd help me visualize better. And how tall is the jointer?

Never a dull moment in Tokyo...

best
...art

Hey Art, I'll eventually get the layout of the Dungeon right............. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Look at >> this thread << for a discussion on the placement of the saw, here are the images.........

dungeon_ts_placement_1.jpg dungeon_ts_placement_2.jpg

I was also thinking of getting the mobile base, so if I really had to use the TS for some long ripping, I could turn it 90 degrees to get the extra length :dunno:

The way you utilized space in that shoebox shop always amazes me.
Would a 7" saw do what you need? A 12" is usually overkill for a home shop but the 10s seem perfect, IMHO.
And, replacing that saw would mean a major rebuild of all that cabinetry around and behind the existing. But, I'm sure you have already made that decision.
Aren't there other ten inchers you could consider?
Oh, another thought.....would you also have to replace a library of blades?

Frank, I do not know of anyone but Hitachi that make a sliding saw which requires so little space behind the blade, if anyone knows of one, please enlighten me :wave:

With the new saw being a dual compound, you will need to rethink the layout/construction of your table, with the saw more in the center than the one you have now....no?

Also appears that your router table is a tad shorter than the current table, so you'll need to go up or down on one or the other. Or...just the pic appears so?

The existing SCMS is a dual compound saw. I'd get rid of most of the router table, I'd maybe save the top and the drawers, but have to build a new cabinet under the new saw's wing.

I'd shove the new SCMS station down the wall a bit away from the lathe to better center it on the space availilble, but at least it would be higher than the table of Big Blue, but the lathe would get in the way of the right side of the SCMS, it is not in the way right now, as the whole saw is out from the wall a fair ways. Maybe I could build a saw station that slides out on on rails from the wall a few inches if I need to cut long stuff :rolleyes:

Then again, with the new table saw in the configuration I show, with a long piece, I could just use a cut off sled.... :huh:

To give you an idea of the footprint of the C8FB saw.........

c8fb_footprint_1.jpg c8fb_footprint_2.jpg c8fb_footprint_3.jpg c8fb_footprint_4.jpg

The saw sits 100cm deep and 100cm wide, that is just under 40" x 40" not a small footprint at all.

If I got the new saw, I imagine that would be a LOT smaller:huh:

Maybe I'm "hallucinating", but it seems that I saw something recently about someone else coming out with a SCMS with the rails on the front like the Hitachi & Festool, but for the life of me I can't remember who or where I saw it.:huh::dunno:

Maybe I'm just dreaming.:rolleyes:

Norman, did anything shake loose in the last while :huh: :dunno:

I had some time this morning, I was looking at the old C8FB SCMS again, I had it hooked up to the shop vac, and the DC on it sucked, well, it did not suck much at all :doh: The amount of sawdust the did NOT get sucked up was significant, what to do :huh:

I noticed on some of the newer saws, that they have this small shroud near the back of the blade.........

hitachi_shroud_1.jpg makita_shroud3.jpg

So, I made one myself :D

scms_dc_boot_1.jpg
Here is the way it was to start

scms_dc_boot_2.jpg scms_dc_boot_3.jpg scms_dc_boot_4.jpg
This is what I came up with, and boy does it make a difference, gets almost all the dust, a HUGE reduction in the amount of sawdust picked up. :thumb:

I just used a chunk of inner tube from a motorcycle, and attached it with double-sided tape.

Cheers!