Do you enjoy this forum ?

Don Baer

Staff member
do you find it a use full tool in your hobby. This is a member run forum and we need everyone who is using this place to be an member. It costs you nothing so please don't think we are trying to get in your pocket, all we ask is that you be an active participate. If you don't want to show us your projects, that OK. We would like you to at least voice your opinion as to how the forum is run and to do this you need to vote in the election. The votes are completly ananamus so no one will know how you voted. Please join us in keeping this forum the best woodworking form on the web. Click here to vote.

Last edited:
do you find it a use full tool in your hobby. This is a member run forum and we need everyone who is using this place to be an member. It costs you nothing so please don't think we are trying to get in your pocket, all we ask is that you be an active participate. If you don't want to show us your projects, that OK. We would like you to at least voice your opinion as to how the forum is run and to do this you need to vote in the election. The votes are completly anumonuos so no one will know how you voted. Please join us in keeping this forum the best woodworking form on the web. Click here to vote.

Yep, we are rather unique to my knowledge, in that we elect the people who run this place, kind of cool.

Please step up and vote, thank you! :thumb:

What kind of question is that? :huh:
Enjoy? :dunno:
I have learned so much, met so many, as the old adage goes, laughed a lot and cried some. Friends are few, but here, family is family because we choose to be. Enjoy, man I could string a hundred adjectives together to describe what this place is to me and it still wouldn't come close to describing the wealth of information that is freely shared, comraderie that is daily distributed, help that is offered, suggestions that are provided and of course the picture police pressing the points as well as the down to earth people who most I know only through this monitor of mine.
Yep, I guess I do enjoy this here ole site of people that share a habit. :doh: :thumb: :thumb:

I am glad you posted this Don. I must confess to being a little concerned about seeing things like 49 views of a thread (not mine) with not a single response post. I am fearing that we are growing a community of online lookie-loos :(. At first I attributed it to hard times and figured many of us are busy trying to pay the bills, let alone support our local lumber yard. But, the trend continues :dunno:.

The questions and comments of other posted here is what breathes life into the threads. My primary enjoyment here is seeing the shops and works of others and hearing their comments and thoughts.

I remember early on we would even post threads about cleaning our shop or finding evidence of mice :rofl:. Loosen up those fingers folks and post :thumb:.

Last edited:
I enjoy the forum and get on about everyday. I don't post alot. Sometimes I am not well versed and others it is due to the lack of time. I am very slow at building something as I tend to fly by the seat of my pants for design. That said I have learned ton by reading threads here and watching build threads.

Well glenn said, what i and others have been thinking,, this is a group effort and we all like variety and see thing differently than others.. but we all came here looking to learn and get info that we may not have had and could get freely.. we all, as in anyone that participates will be rewarded for it. in one way or another.. we have seen our hobby or craft fade away in the schools and the lack of it has caused the loss of its skills by many the ones that know are leaving and those that are looking cant find it..here we have access but we need to share and to ask..those of you out there just starting out dont EVER think that your question or your problem is to much bother for us,, its not.. we all started at the same place! the bottom of the ladder.. and some have climbed along way up and others are still looking at the first few steps.. i could give you examples of folks here that when they came, they were without many skills if any.. yet some of them even put the older ones to shame with there many projects and they got the confidence and the help they were looking for here!!! and its threw the posting of step by step builds or completed jobs that some have done and the problems they encountered and got threw with the help of the forum.. so do i enjoy it, yes have i tried to give back, yes again and will continue as long as i am here..

Well said Glenn, Jonathan and Larry.
I found this forum when searching for an answer to using my dovetail jig. Right from the start I found that if I needed the answer to any question I could find it here. Folks answered my simple and dumb questions without making me feel like I was asking simple dumb questions.
I know some members here belong to other woodworking forums but I have never found the need to. Right from the start the family atmosphere and the honest caring of most members make me feel that there is no need to spend time anywhere else. I enjoy the Code of conduct here. It is refreshing to not have to deal with foul language or political issues here.
Like Glenn said it does bother me when someone takes the time to post something and no one responds. Seeing hundreds of views and only several responses to someones post is disappointing and discourages further participation.

I know some members here belong to other woodworking forums but I have never found the need to. Right from the start the family atmosphere and the honest caring of most members make me feel that there is no need to spend time anywhere else. I enjoy the Code of conduct here. It is refreshing to not have to deal with foul language or political issues here.
Like Glenn said it does bother me when someone takes the time to post something and no one responds. Seeing hundreds of views and only several responses to someones post is disappointing and discourages further participation.

Bob you and i are 100% on the same page with our views. Every single word of your comment i 1000% agree with as if they were my own.

Speaking for myself i cancelled my magazine subscriptions for a very simple reason. They took me down the proverbial primrose path.

I found that they were filling my head with "gotta" issues.

Gotta have this jig before you can do woodworking
Gotta have this tool before you can do x
Gotta have this gizmo or that gizmo

I found they paralized me without me knowing.

I joined here and my woodworking took an upturn like never before. I started doing what i used to do back in my youth, making things. From jigs to tools to projects. That was what i wanted to do in the first place.

I personally think the magazines have lost their way. They way too polished and like the food network with the perfect cake make you feel you should not try make something unless you can get it to look like the picture. WRONG. How wrong it is.

So to me the value of what i found here is simply priceless.

But there is a sad point to this too. Many of the guys that know way way more than me that have offered tidbits of advice, hey they dont need more than three words to set you straight at times, have left of stopped posting.

My concern is if you look at the total number of posts in the off topic section versus woodworking, its indicative of why. Look at how many tutorials and tips we have.

So if we dont make the effort to post our projects and for the lack of woodworking spend our time in off topic well we will end up in this situation.

Its time to get back to basics. Woodworking.:D:rofl::thumb:

Oh and voting since democracy tends to imply you have a responsiblity to participate at least at election time.;):):thumb:

Register to VOTE.

Wow, Thanks for the response, I never dreamed that I would get this much attention but do you want the know the one disappointing thing about all these posts. The one thing that stands out the most. Only the regulars answered it. I would love to have some of the lurkers and lookey loos step up to the plate. Oh well I guess I need to realize that thats par for the course.

Wow, Thanks for the response, I never dreamed that I would get this much attention but do you want the know the one disappointing thing about all these posts. The one thing that stands out the most. Only the regulars answered it. I would love to have some of the lurkers and lookey loos step up to the plate. Oh well I guess I need to realize that thats par for the course.

Well, two things come to mind Don;
1. You catch more flies with honey

2. Be careful for what you wish for

Don I enjoy the site a lot and have started making some good friends. I have never looked for another woodworking forum and do not intend to. This is a great site and a good bunch of guys. It's taken me a while to get past the interloper level but I think what it comes down to is members posting up to mew guys and letting them feel welcome as many in here have done for me. I know I have my problems with posting things that are black and white and I'm working on containing them.
Good post Don :thumb:

I tend to overpost, but Ill add another 2 cents.

I made adirondack chairs, thats basically all I worked on besides a few outdoor tables for 2 years.
I was already past 50 y/o, and having to ask basic questions, since I had no idea what a jointer was, how it worked, and so on......was a bit intimidating.
Then I discovered the opposite here.
Even the pros here, offered their help and I realized (and Ive said this many times before), this place is a goldmine of knowledge waiting to be tapped.
Ofcourse Im not the only new comer to woodworking that realized this.
I often apologize for my prolific posting, but the talent here is too valuable to not lean on when Im stuck on even the simpliest, little tiny things.
(example of this: I spent 3 hours trying to figure out how the best way to hang my daughters closet unit I was about to make for her. I contacted someone here and in 20 seconds, he offered me the simpliest solution and I had to hit myself in the head, like wow, I coulda had a V8, or wow, why didnt I think of that...........its that kind of stuff that makes this place very valuable)
I will shutup now, but to all the new comers that stumble accross this site, say hello and share some sawdust stories.
Too all the lurkers, the pros, it would be nice to see some top notch stuff, it inspires alot of people even though you many not know it.
now Ill shut up.

Alan I for one hope you never shut up as you put it. I dont think you actually realize how inspirational your posts are. But i also know from past experience you aint gonna believe us are you.:D Thing is its true. I dont think there is a regular here that is unaware or does not have admiration for what you have achieved and its even more of an achievement when you consider some of the things that you have to deal with.:) You gotta keep on posting bud.:thumb:

I think this is a great place, and I check what's being talked about every day. I find the information here not only valuable but kind and generous as well. I wish I knew more about woodworking so I could help more. You guys are my mentors. This is the one place I feel like I can ask the dumbest most beginner questions and no one is going to make me feel stupid. I frequented several other woodworking forums before I found this place and could feel at home.

I encourage the lurkers to register and speak up. We want to hear what you have to say. Don't be shy. And if you don't have a lot of woodworking advice to give, there are lots of places where you can voice your comments, opinions, and good wishes. And questions are always welcome. I know--I ask tons of them.

Thank you to all who reply to my questions and make this the warm, accepting, and respectful place it is. :):thumb::type:
cynthia