Just introducing myself

Scot Kelley

I am a virtual buddy of Ned Bulken's and didn't know this site existed until a few minutes ago.

I am an avid woodworker with more tools and lumber than skill. I work primarily with mesquite but love to do projects with other timbers as well.

Here's a shot of a project of mine from last year

PA240120-1.jpg

And here's a shot of my kid building a Stickley style taboret.

SA551212.jpg

And here's a shot of his finished product. His "sig" on the other forum is: "Building stuff since I was seven." Gotta love it.

SA551216.jpg

At any rate, I can't imagine that I'll completely abandon my other forum, but I love the premise behind this site.

Scot

Hey Scott, welcome aboard. Any friend of Ned's is...um...er...oh well, welcome to the forum anyway. :rofl: Feel free to get your apprentice signed up, too.

Great looking work, too. I suspect you're downplaying your skill level a bit. ;)

Scot, let me be the first to welcome you into our family here at FWW. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a cuppa, and sit back and enjoy. As you already know, we love pictures, and you've already proven yourself by posting three of them!! Love the one of your son, and the blanket/hope chest is just lovely. One question, how was the information put on the middle panel of the chest? It looks laser engraved. Are you an engraver or do you have an engraver nearby?

You might want to fill out your profile (go to UserCP to do so), so we'll know where you are and a little more about you.

Again, welcome!!

Nancy

Last edited:
Vaughn, I am not downplaying my skill level one bit. I have convinced my wife that I MUST have all the tools and lumber in order to build anything of worth. You're not going to ruin this for me.....are you?

Nancy, I made a paddle for the guy at a local trophy shop a few years back. He needed one badly evidently. Since then, they charge me but a pittance for laser engraving. I NEVER pay more than $5 for anything...usually $2.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. They are appreciated.

Scot

I love this stuff.
I am a total amateur, but I loved the chest.

We do share one common trait, there isnt a free inch of space on any table top or shelf in your work area, and today I was losing my mind digging under things to find other things.

fabulous work, thankyou for posting a picture.

I love this stuff.
I am a total amateur, but I loved the chest.

We do share one common trait, there isnt a free inch of space on any table top or shelf in your work area, and today I was losing my mind digging under things to find other things.

fabulous work, thankyou for posting a picture.

yep, my shop was a disaster when that picture was taken. I was in the process of adding on. It is actually very clean most of the time.

See, I have a problem and it is hoarding wood. I may have more wood than all of you put together. I mill wood. I buy wood. I dumpster dive for interesting wood. I am always running out of storage. It's a problem.

Check out the last load of wood I bought. The ceiling was 12 feet tall and those racks were 16 feet deep! The picture did not include 4 similar stacks located throughout the building. Total cost $725.

wood1.jpg

Welcome Scot and don't worry; there are a few pretty new folks here and we don't hold there associations against them either ;-)

yep, my shop was a disaster when that picture was taken. I was in the process of adding on. It is actually very clean most of the time.

See, I have a problem and it is hoarding wood. I may have more wood than all of you put together. I mill wood. I buy wood. I dumpster dive for interesting wood. I am always running out of storage. It's a problem.

Check out the last load of wood I bought. The ceiling was 12 feet tall and those racks were 16 feet deep! The picture did not include 4 similar stacks located throughout the building. Total cost $725.

wood1.jpg

too funny, I was driving up the maine coast last summer, stopped off in Ongunquit to eat, got alot of offers from nice gentelmen, although not my cup of tea, anyway, my wife was furious when I stopped at a junk pile and took out my leatherman to take handles off of a discarded set of kitch cabinets, I just liked the look of them, so I toolk them all.she said I was embarrassing her while others watched, I told her they were just jealous I got there first.

Hey Scot,

Welcome to FWW. Love your wood stash, WOW. I scavenge stuff too, much the chagrin of various past significant others. I say, if you're going to recycle, DO it, right? :) The photo of your boy working away made me smile.

Hope you have fun here. It's a good place to be.

--MJ :)

Welcome Aboard

Hi Scott,

For awhile you made my day...then you ruined it by saying your shop is usually neat. I thought I found someone who had a shop messier than mine is now and then you put me back on the bottom of the list again. Actually my shop is becomming neater and neater as I get time to connect dust collector ducts, make bases for tools, figure out where I want things, etc.

If your wood supply is a "Wood Supply," mine is a "Toothpick." I am jealous!!!

Pardon the crazy message. I was just trying to demonstrate that some of us at FWW are not clear thinking, straight forward, logical, people.

I like your work!!!

Enjoy.

Jim

Welcome Scot, Beautiful Chest, (and from my FAVORITE wood too).:thumb: I just wish our Mesquites were as big out here as in your area, but I do hope to have a few that are large enough to be useful from my small farm about 200 miles east of here, (that is IF I EVER get my shop finished here).:rolleyes:
I'm glad to see you're getting your Son started off on the right footing. I started with my dad when I was 5 or 6 so I know that's the way to go. They learn so quick at that age, and it stays with them too. I think you will enjoy it here.

Hey Scot, we both found it.....

Y'all Scot has all the wood in the middle of TX....:thumb:

He's a stand guy folks. You couldn't ask for anyone better to be here!!!

Jimmy

Howdy Scot! :wave:

Welcome to the family.

Man I am jealous of that wood pile! :eek:

I also love your work and that young fellers as well. :clap:

DT

You are all very kind and I appreciate the welcome.

My kid isn't always interested in building or working in the shop. I don't press it. On the occasions he is interested, I drop whatever project I'm doing and we build something together.

He built his first project at 7 and we still have it. He has completed about 4 projects in the last 3 years, a simple bench for his fort, a bookcase and the table I showed earlier. That doesn't include several swords, war hammers and shields we had to build a few months ago. It seems we were preparing for a possible attack from the neighbor's children. It was purely a defensive move on our part. Purely. The trebuchet we have planned might be considered more aggressive. :D