Attempted "geeze" Cure

glenn bradley

Well I have been spending a lot of time organizing and cleaning up the shop which is of little interest until I start doing the new electrical and wallboard and cleats and such. I said in another post I that I would post some stuff anyway just to fire up some conversation so pardon the rather weak post.

I am normally way ahead of the game as far as planning things. I was perturbed to find that the traditional gift for a fifth anniversary gift is WOOD :eek: . Although LOML and I are only dating we still celebrate an anniversary of sorts:rolleyes: .

Had I been ahead of the game I would have had something in the works with time to spare. As it is I was caught flat-footed :doh: . I decided on a small box to hold something nice but have never made small items before. I find there is a different approach, that's for sure.

This is a prototype out of redwood for a small lift-top, keyed miter box.

Small box Proto.jpg

One discovery was that my CMS suffered blade deviation while trying to make the keeper out of beech. The keeper will be beech with walnut keys and lid. The redwood cut easily of course :dunno: . The end result is that I am whipping up a bevel sled to get better accuracy on the miters using the TS.

Bevel Sled.jpg

I should have the sled done tomorrow and the box build (if my prototype is any indication) will go rather quickly. The upside is that it is small enough to hide in my suitcase so I can surprise her on the big day at our friends that we visit each 4th of July.

Last edited:
Never one to discourage a new jig, but out of curiosity, why not simply use your miter gauge to do the 45° cuts on the sides? Especially with a sacrificial fence (scrap BB ply) as a "zero clearance" insert on the miter gauge, you should be able to get nice clean cuts.

It's also easy to add stop blocks (clamped or even temporarily screwed to the sacrificial fence) to ensure all the sides are matching lengths. That's what I've used on similar boxes, with good results.

Like I said, just curious...I don't mean to try to talk you out of building the sled. :)

My Incra miter gauge does a good job. Part of it is just me; I've got the sled build down to a pretty quick exercise. I like the feel of control having the piece(s) supported during and after the cut but you're right; the miter gauge does do just fine. I have more time than money right now so I'm doing some of these smaller "I'm gonna get to that" sort of activities like this along with clean up and organization, maintenance, sharpening, etc. It's all 'fun in the shop' time, eh?

My Incra miter gauge does a good job. Part of it is just me; I've got the sled build down to a pretty quick exercise. I like the feel of control having the piece(s) supported during and after the cut but you're right; the miter gauge does do just fine. I have more time than money right now so I'm doing some of these smaller "I'm gonna get to that" sort of activities like this along with clean up and organization, maintenance, sharpening, etc. It's all 'fun in the shop' time, eh?
That's about what I suspected...carry on, my good man. :wave:

A not so great day in the shop (Bad days in the shop are usually BAD days period) beats a good day at work any day right?

I sure hope the Incra does a good job. I"m thinking on getting the 1000 one of these days.

I sure hope the Incra does a good job. I"m thinking on getting the 1000 one of these days.

When I was newer than I am now, I picked up an Incra 27 'cause it was on sale. Later I added the extruded fence with the telescoping feature. It was one of the times I bought the right thing the first time. An accurate miter gauge is a joy.

The 1000, 2000, etc. are all variations on this theme; very accurate, repeatable settings. Any of them should serve you well. I bought the extension direct from Incra at a better price than I could find elsewhere. The first one had a bit of slop and they replaced it right away. Very nice people to deal with.