Walnut Sphere

I performed my first lathe demo at Woodcraft today. I had a lot of fun! Here's the outcome, a 3.5" Walnut Sphere. (Danish oil finish, not cured.)

Hutch

P.S. It's partially sapwood, that's why the one side is so light in color.

Attachments

• Sphere1.jpg
    Sphere1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Sphere 2.jpg
    Sphere 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 37
No Mustard for Me....

They have a 2 hp Jet in the shop. It was quite nice to use, and the spindle turning I demonstrated came out nice as a result.

Tips? Use a bowl gouge. :) Actually, if you really do want me to explain it, I would be more than willing. :thumb:

Hutch

Skew....

Well, I have never tried using a skew for a sphere. I have turned beads with one, but that's in a regular spindle orientation. After the first turning, the rough sphere is oriented in a faceplate orientation, and I didn't even realize a skew is the traditional tool for this project. Guess it makes sense though. Hm, learn something new everyday. Just for that, I may have to go try one using a skew. I love a good challenge!!:D Thanks all!

Hutch

And the tutorial is posted.

Well, I just finished a sphere turning tutorial, posted in the Q and A forum. I just had to go out and try my hand at making a ball with a skew, and I took photos of the process. I have to say that I prefer turning spheres with a bowl gouge. :D

Hutch