FINALLY !! i can get started turning

Joan Keeler

Hey folks, it's been a long time coming but the day has finally arrived! Sold my house, waited a month to move into my winter rental which is a 'little cottage by the sea', and now I can begin my new hobby. I was orginally going to purchase a full size lathe but because of space limits in my little cottage ( I couldn't wait any longer to get started) I went with a mini lathe for now. I went to our local Rockler store and they fixed me up with a mini Jet Variable speed, with a stand, bed extension w/stand, and all kinds of fun stuff. Of course by the time I walked out of there I was in sticker shock and since then Grizz keeps adding to the list of all the things I still need to get but I think I've got a good start. I'll take a picture of all the smaller stuff later on when my order comes in from Lee Valley with some more fun stuff, but for now here are some pics of my new baby along with my drill press and a really nice stand that Grizz made for the drill press.... he got to use his new dovetail jig to make the drawer. I haven't actually made anything yet but I have been playing around and just getting the feel for it. Since I am new to any kind of woodworking I am both very excited and a little timid. Hopefully within the next week or so I can show off something I made whether it be a keeper or something for the scrape pile it will be my first attempt! I also got some pen blanks in the mail this week to start on.

p.s. i have to resize the DP picture , that will follow soon :huh:

Attachments

• bed extension and all.JPG
    bed extension and all.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 51
  • in it's cradle.JPG
    in it's cradle.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 32
  • woohoo! put together.JPG
    woohoo! put together.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 39
  • pen blanks 1.jpg
    pen blanks 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 35
  • pen blanks 2.jpg
    pen blanks 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 16
  • drill press on top of new stand.JPG
    drill press on top of new stand.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Woo hoo! You're set to Jet, girl! :thumb: Congrats on finally getting your toys set up and ready to play with. Rest assured, that first piece will indeed be a keeper, regardless of how it looks. :)

Lookin' Good! :thumb:

Never fear; the initial sticker shock will fade over time ... especially when it's overshadowed by additional sticker shocks as you pick up a(nother?) chuck, a new tool or two, a very nice piece of wood ... and so on. :rolleyes:

I'm excited for you ... Enjoy!

Hey Guys, we got another one!! :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :wave: :wave:

Great looking set up Joan, I'm sure you will be making a fine mess with that set up.

If you invest in good equipment, the initial sticker shock is there for sure, but down the road, you will appreciate the quality of the stuff you have invested in.

Those pen blanks sure look nice.

Can't wait to see what you turn out :clap:

Joan

Looks great. Don't worry, you're not alone I'm slipping down the slope right behind you -- waiting for my lathe to arrive next week

Jay

Just like a "girl" to go and put curtains in the shop!:D ;)

Congrats on the new setup. Keep those pics of the nice clean work area, it'll never be the same once you fire up that Jet.

Congrats on the new machine. Yep the sticker shock can get ya but when you turn your first project it will be forgotten.

I saw the curtains and wasn't going to bring it up just figured it was just a ladies touch in her shop.

Hi Joan! :wave:

Yep, those are some great new tools but that new shop is awesome too!
Don't be timid, roll those britches legs up and wade right in. :rofl:

You have every right to be one happy girl. :thumb:

DT

Sweet!

Hello Joan,

Congrats on your new baby! :) There's nothing like unwrapping a new lathe... Let us know if we can help you and best wishes to you in all of your woodturning endeavors!

Thanks everyone on the congrats. :wave: And just for the record it isn't technically a workshop, in my 'little cottage by the sea' I took over the porch/bedroom and moved out some furniture and rearranged things so I could setup my toys. I just saw Jim's post about a really nice tool cabinet he's making for all my tools which will look awesome in there, along with my curtains...hehehe. Between work and the gorgerous weather I haven't started a project yet, I've just been organizing and playing but I do feel some serious spinning time in the near future. :eek: