New warning: Idaho trees!

Bill Lantry

Ken, Rennie,

Next time you put some local wood on the lathe, you should really be careful! Your congressional representative says "there's oil in them there trees!":

"Congressman Sali informed us that a solution to the high price of gasoline was to make petroleum from “all those trees in our forests.” (...) He continued by saying there ‘”could be up to 40 barrels of oil ” in a single tree."

I guess your land values are about to go way up! But if I were you, I'd be careful next time I fired up the bandsaw... ;)

On the other hand, if it's true, your shop will pay for itself in no time! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Ken, Rennie,

Next time you put some local wood on the lathe, you should really be careful! Your congressional representative says "there's oil in them there trees!":

"Congressman Sali informed us that a solution to the high price of gasoline was to make petroleum from “all those trees in our forests.” (...) He continued by saying there ‘”could be up to 40 barrels of oil ” in a single tree."

I guess your land values are about to go way up! But if I were you, I'd be careful next time I fired up the bandsaw... ;)

On the other hand, if it's true, your shop will pay for itself in no time! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
This will take some looking into - however, did you ever see how good those things burn? :rolleyes:

No...we use too many products from wood for that to be a good resource for fuel. That would drive up everything wood-derived just like ethanol has done to corn.

So far the winner looks to be cat tails. Corn produces 200 gallons of ethanol per acre, sugar cane produces 640 gallons of ethanol per acre, while cat tails produce 1000 gallons per acre...and it does not grow on land competing with food. There is enough cat tails growing in the state of MN alone to produce enough ethanol for the mid west to be self-sufficient.

Take a look at Stanley Steamer

Before you get all steamed up about this, put it and your dead wood to better uses in a burner(design?) and make steam and go like Stanley did.:D

The Stanley Motor Carriage Company operated between 1902 and 1917, and outsold every gasoline-fuelled car, with sales second only to Columbia Electric.[3][2] The cars made by the company were referred to as Stanley Steamers. When they shifted the steam boiler to the front of the vehicle, the resulting feature was called by owners the "coffin nose." In order to improve range, condensers were used, beginning in 1915. A Stanley Steamer set the world record for the fastest mile in an automobile (28.2 seconds) in 1906. This record was not broken by any automobile until 1911, although Glen Curtis beat the record in 1907 with a V-8 powered motorcycle at 136 mph (218 km/h). At first, production was limited, but it rose to 500 cars in 1917.

See more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Steamer
cheers

The Stanley Steamer still holds a world record (I believe) for top speed at the lowest horsepower. I think it was over 100 mph at 12 hp or something crazy.

Stanley Steamer was made by a couple of Mainers in the Kingfield Area and they have a museum dedicated to that car up there. Quite the car but of course would be illegal today. You have to be a licensed boiler operator to operate any high pressure vessels.