I turned a 'sumpin'...

Bill Arnold

Staff member
As many of you know, I'm still trying to figger out which end of some of these here turning tools to hold! :eek: I'm very well entrenched in "flat world" but occasionally take a short break to re-focus for a while.

Anyway, I had seen something similar to the 'thingie' in the photos while LOML and I were on a getaway weekend a couple of weeks ago. She didn't get to see the item I saw because it was in the men's room at an 'antique' store. :D

A few days ago, I walked out to the firewood stand and grabbed a hunk of wood a little less than 3" across and about 18" long. I cut the ends a little flatter and stuck it on my lathe to see what would happen. After going back to it for a few minutes several times over a couple of days, this is what happened.
wp01_a.jpg

It looks a little better like this:
wp01_b.jpg

Final size is 2.75" wide at the base and 8.5" tall. I sprayed a couple of coats of shellac over the whole piece, then put several more on the bare wood portion.

First pic I thought to myself "what in the world is that?" THEN the second pic made it all make sense to me. NOW that is cool, I like the thingie :thumb: