It's the little things...

Bill Arnold

Staff member
...that keep 'em happy - sometimes! :dunno:

Without going into a lot of detail, LOML and I pulled the trigger on a remodel of our master bathroom several weeks ago. It took about a month for the contractor to do the major work involved - remove three doors, take out two walls, add a wall, etc. Other than keeping an eye on them, I didn't get much done while they were here. :rolleyes:

When looking at options for keeping some of the clutter off the countertop, I thought about the tilt-out thingies in front of the sinks like we had used at another house. My lovely wife looked under the sinks and suggested there was room to add a small drawer rather than the less-than-useful tilting unit. A couple of measurements later, I had a plan - fortunately! The sinks I chose for the remodel are low-profile. I couldn't use the full height of the opening behind the false front panels; about half of it - 3.5" could be used, which works great for combs, brushes, etc. I'll add dividers after we determine how we want them done.
Redo_Misc01.jpg

At the tub, we used a towel rack that matches the oiled bronze colored faucets. I wanted a rack long enough to hold a towel and bathmat by the shower, so I had to make one. Simple enough: read oak bandsawed to shapes similar to the bath and shower fixtures, then dyed. I used a 4' long 5/8" diameter dowel (from the borg) that slides through the center bracket and sits in the end brackets.
Redo_Misc04a.jpg

Nothing fancy, but it made sawdust! Now maybe I can get back to my platform bed build!!!

:wave:

another attah boy for you bill .. and bobby had good idea once more,, no wonder you think she is a keeper:) and the side receptical is the best place for one in my book..

Well done Bill. Your shares have got to be at an all time high.:)

I really like the idea of having place to hang the mat. Been batting that one for some time.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

bill, every piece doesnt have to be a musuem quality piece of work.
Not even a veneered curved rail buffet unit:D

its nice to be able to build what we use in our every day lives, like kitchen tables, bathroom vanities, towel racks, stools, etc......I find these kind of builds easy, fast, yet the most rewarding, because someone uses it everyday, and it serves a vital function besides being something to be proud that I(you) built.

I wish I had enough room in either of my two small bathrooms to put a double sink vanity in.
I have lots of ideas, but little space.
great job, not a little thing, a very nice attractive useful build.
and thanx for sharing

Last edited:
another attah boy for you bill .. and bobby had good idea once more,, no wonder you think she is a keeper:) and the side receptical is the best place for one in my book..

Thanks, Larry and everyone else for your comments. And, yes, Bobbie is quite a keeper! ;)

A couple of you mentioned the electrical outlet on the side of the vanity. The builder (14 years ago) put an outlet in the mirror. No, I don't want to know the reason!!! We didn't like it there just from an appearance standpoint, plus I'm going to add an oak frame around the mirror with a divider in the center to make it look like twin mirrors. Yeah, I'm too cheap to replace the mirror, besides it's in perfect shape. All it took was drilling a hole in the top rear of the vanity, poke a length of romex down from the old outlet and mount a new box on the side of the vanity. Now, I can hang my blow dryer and curling iron on the side for convenience! :D

Redo_Misc0x.jpg

Last edited:
Good lookin' job. You will enjoy it for years.

So what do you do to keep the back of the Mirror Divider from showing in the mirror? Blacken it? Make it the same color as the front of the divider? Be nice and don't ask me how I know about that problem.

Enjoy,

JimB

Good lookin' job. You will enjoy it for years.

So what do you do to keep the back of the Mirror Divider from showing in the mirror? Blacken it? Make it the same color as the front of the divider? Be nice and don't ask me how I know about that problem. ...

OK, I won't ask! :)

One thing I was planning to do is hold a board against the mirror to see how it looks. Blacking the back of the board should help as will adding a profile (cove or ogee) to the edge to make it less prominent, keeping in mind the edge will appear twice as thick because of the mirror.

My original plan was to add just a frame around the mirror; then insanity set in and I started thinking about a divider. Thinkin' sure can get dangerous! :huh: