Wood ID site or help

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

I have an idea for these but........thinking 1 is Poplar, but it just isn't right. 2 could be Beech? 3 Hickory or Pecan?

Don't know a site, but...
1. Poplar
2. Maple, unless it is real light, then alder.
3. Not hickory. What you have is a closed celled wood and hickory is open celled. Don't know about pecan. First guess is poplar - again.

My 2 cents. Is this a contest? :) Is there a prize? :rolleyes:

Hey, I didn't want to miss out, just in case! :D

Jim, I found that right before I checked back here. I looked until my eyes crossed.

Carol, I go Maple on 2. Still not sure on the #1 as it has no greens, like the poplar I have seen. The weight is right, still not sure. On the #3, it can't be poplar as it's very heavy. I only have 3 boards like it, so no biggie if I can't figure it out.

karl has it on the first two and i possibly on the last one as well i havnt seen a wide birch board but ti doesnt look like hickory and if it was it would be heavy!!!1

Steve being that I'm building my kitchenout of pecan I would have to say that #3 has a very strong resemblence to it. The color and the grain looks right and NONE of my boards were light weight!

Steve,

My Graduate work is in Plant Taxonomy. (for what ever that is worth)

I would never try to i.d. a woody plant from a photo of a board.
If I did it would make a liar out of me about 85% of the time.

I would attempt it if I have a photo of leaves, fruit, bark.

A really good book on wood id is
Identifying Wood
Author: R Bruce Hoadley
Publisher: Taunton Press
Format: Hardcover
Language: English

It is not a easy book to read and understand but if you apply the effort it will get to about 95-95% correct.

after all of this above unwanted info --- my 15% correctness is
1. Poplar -- not like my home town of Poplar Bluff (Tulip tree)
2. Maple -- which one ??
3. Pea can --pecan