getting some wood

Frank Fusco

A friend is giving me a couple trees that are down. One is a walnut, cut about a year ago. He says it's pretty large. Other is a recently cut persimmon about a foot in diameter. I have plenty of walnut planks and don't need more so I'm pretty sure we (I'm taking help) will cut in chunks for turning. The persimmon will also be cut in chunks. I'll cut the length to approximate the diameter. Will wait until our current very cold weather moderates before going for it. Pictures will follow at cutting up time.

Sounds like a great haul. I'm sure you're all a-twitter at the prospect. Ok...perhaps "a-twitter" is a bit out there. It does sound like a great bunch of wood!

Have you worked with persimmon before? I have an opportunity to get some persimmon board (rough cut), and was wondering what kind of wood it is.

I know persimmon was once used for golf clubs because of its grain. I have several of them...have thought about using them for bottle stopper blanks??

Looking forward to the pics Frank...congrats!

Sounds like a great haul. I'm sure you're all a-twitter at the prospect. Ok...perhaps "a-twitter" is a bit out there. It does sound like a great bunch of wood!

Have you worked with persimmon before? I have an opportunity to get some persimmon board (rough cut), and was wondering what kind of wood it is.

Persimmon is very hard, a kinda pinkish color. As others have said, it was once used for golf clubs. I have made a few pens from it, turns nicely.
Can you say "twitter" on FW? :laugh2:

Sounds like a fun haul. I've seen some nice persimmon pieces before. (And the walnut goes without saying...turning blanks for sure.) Congrats. :thumb: