Grizzly Now ships to Canada

Rob Keeble

For all the Canadians out there that wish to buy Grizzly tools, now you can officially. Nothing like a recession to change things Eh?

See the link on Grizzly site now. Took em long enough to wake up.:D

That's the good news. :)

The bad news is that they insist on shipping by UPS and will not use the "regular" US and Canadian postal services. :( UPS is well known for ripping off Canadians with exorbitant administrative fees when they ship across the boarder. I, for one, will never knowingly use them again. By the way Fedex is just as bad.

That's the good news. :)

The bad news is that they insist on shipping by UPS and will not use the "regular" US and Canadian postal services. :( UPS is well known for ripping off Canadians with exorbitant administrative fees when they ship across the boarder. I, for one, will never knowingly use them again. By the way Fedex is just as bad.

I used to support Information Services for distribution centers in Canada for BEHR Paint. The regular shipments of truckloads of product was an automated system that never had a problem. God forbid I had to ship any individual equipment across the border in an emergency. Printers, computers, network equipment all of it would have to spend two or three days going through Canadian customs. The reason UPS, FEDEX and other companies charge so much is due to the individual attention that is required for each package. They're just following the regulations put in place by the Canadian government and the time required to get through those processes has an associated cost. Most postal mail does not have to deal with freight type issues.

Cheers,

Dan, I disagree. I have had many cross border items shipped via the postal services of the USA, Canada, and the United Kingdom when living in all three countries. In many of these cases I have paid approriate taxes and duties but have never been ripped off by them with excess fees the way the UPS and FedEx attempts to do.

Frank,

I was sent to Calgary to work on a CT scanner at the Shell Oil Research Center on the campus of the university there.

The machine had many problems due to neglect.

It took days to get parts through customs from the U.S. After 2 weeks I was ready to go home. I was working with a Canadian engineer from Prince George? So I ordered the final replacement part knowing it would be 3 days before it arrived and bought some aircraft control cable from a local supplier and temporarily repaired the final problem. I watched it work for 1 more day and flew home.

Sending something small enough through the mail and shipping something larger that can't go via mail could make a difference. I don't know. I just know what I experienced. Parts were shipped to me and it took 2-3 days every time.

Last edited:
Yes Ken, I agree that parcels via the regular postal services can take a long time - but it is not the time taken that I am complaining about. I am usually willing to wait a long time for a tool.

Last edited: