Curly Maple

Gorgeous stuff.

I agree with shipping cost - makes it just not worth it.

Believe it or not - I have culled out some nice Tiger Maple out of the stacks of what Home Depot calls Maple.
At the register I tell the clerk how beautiful it is and he looks at me like there is something wrong in by head - that asks if the paint will stick to it.

I have also found some great stuff in the firewood - and have a stash just waiting.

Roy - that one trumps all I have by a mile. That is beautiful.

Some of mine are hidden away in your Shop Roy!!! but most of them are in a big stack in shop. I love making stuff out of the figured maple.

Curly maple, my favorite Roy:thumb: what is on your build list? I am lucky enough to have around 300 bf of it in my stash, have made some cutting boards and some boxes from it and am interested in new ideas:) yours is a real nice specimen:thumb:

See i knew Tom was a horder. Now we know where all the curly maple is hidden. In Michigan. :)

Nice board Roy. Looking forward to seeing what u going to do with it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Awe heck, The stuff grows like weeds in Michigan. I see it all the time in the firewood pile. Now if I could just get some cypress.........:D. It is funny how lumber value is regional. In truth, I sometimes cry when cutting up some of the maple logs. I regularly rebel against burning figured maple and it finds a home in the shop.

Nice board there Roy.

A few years back I tried to buy a whole log of curly maple from a Logging jobber. He wouldn't sell me any of them. He had a stash of about 20 curly logs stored at my Father-in-laws place and they stayed there for months..slowly degrading. My Father-in-law finally cut one up for me as a storage tax. I wanted a board or 2 for muzzle-loader stocks and unfortunately he cut them 3" x 6" x 8 ft. Not quite the right size........

Awe heck, The stuff grows like weeds in Michigan. I see it all the time in the firewood pile. Now if I could just get some cypress.........:D. It is funny how lumber value is regional. In truth, I sometimes cry when cutting up some of the maple logs. I regularly rebel against burning figured maple and it finds a home in the shop.

Nice board there Roy.

A few years back I tried to buy a whole log of curly maple from a Logging jobber. He wouldn't sell me any of them. He had a stash of about 20 curly logs stored at my Father-in-laws place and they stayed there for months..slowly degrading. My Father-in-law finally cut one up for me as a storage tax. I wanted a board or 2 for muzzle-loader stocks and unfortunately he cut them 3" x 6" x 8 ft. Not quite the right size........

If I remember right you need at least 8" wide 3" is thick enough

I'm fortunate enough to get to work with it everyday! Getting ready to build three arch top guitars out of it.

I'd love to see some progress pics (as well as shots of the completed guitars). :thumb:

Curly and quilted maple are my favorite woods to work with...using either shop tools or a guitar pick. ;)