Earthquake? In Indiana? Illinois?

I felt the bed shake a little after 5:30 this morning. The earthquake was the main story on the local news this morning. I'm near Indy--there has been no damage reported here that I am aware of. The latest reports have it a 5.2 centered in SE Illinois.

Hey now GUYS, I don't think we can blame this on Ole Larry,:rolleyes: 'cause I'll bet when the truth is known, it wasn't even an earthquake at all, but was just one of them "Spinny....Vortex Guys" that got the walls TOO THIN on one of them Holler Forms that was Way TOO BIG for his Lathe anyhow and it jest plumb 'Sploded.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad to see it was no worse than it was. Those things can sure get your attention. :eek:

I saw an article in the paper yesterday saying that for the first time, the seismologists are "confidently" predicting a major quake (bigger than the 1994 Northridge quake) here in the next 30 to 35 years. (99% probability, they say.) I sure hope to be gone from here when it happens. I was about 10 miles from the Northridge epicenter, and as I said, they sure get your attention. ;)

I didn't feel it, but at 5:30 I'm half asleep as I don't get up for another 1-1/2 hours. Some people around here say they did. I was also talking to a co-worker who lives in St. Louis--it woke him up. But he grew up in Vaughn's neck of the woods and might be more sensitive to them.

Bruce....my sister in Galesburg felt it. My MIL in Fairbury said it rattled the metal doors on her closets.....My mother about 100 miles from the epicenter didn't feel it....

Go figure!

It's kinda like.......where's a tornado going to touch down?

Not what I expected to see on the news this morning! Of all the places to hit! Vaughn's right - these things have a way of getting your attention real fast! I went through the Bay Area quake back in '89 - one of those things you never forget. Glad this one didn't do any more damage than it did!

well i felt it !

and it woke me up friday am around 5.30,, i thought they wer comin to get me.i was planning on gettin up early and thought my buddy was playin a joke on me.. he's kinda that way. but he was as astonished as i was,, he was doin his mourng duties.. after that expierence i hit the road and thought i would get as far away as i culd.. ran into jon shively which was about 5 hrs away from where i was thought i would be safe there and took a brake for awhile to settle my nerves.. :eek: well he helped me calm down and i was back on the road again.. slept last night in a bigger barn yard staul.

Don't wanna worry you folks down there, but I'm guessing the IL quake was part of the New Madrid fault, which delivered the strongest quake ever in N.A. It was in the early 1800's I believe and they guesstimate it was over 9.5. Made the Mississippi run backward. But they've been doing research on it's frequency and you don't have much to worry about.

this year......

That's what I like about living in Idaho....The Rockies between us and the New Madrid fault.......The Cascades between us and the San Andreas fault......

"Someday dear, we'll have beach front property.....If Saint Helens doesn't blow her top again....":rolleyes:

I'm to the point now that unless the quake is going up and down, I don't even bother worrying about it, if it is shaking side to side, I just enjoy the turf surfing.

If you do feel it bouncing up and down, well then, all bets are off..... :eek: