Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe depending on the price

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Not prepared to say for fear of hurting his feelings

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Keeble

Well as they say in the classics i couldnt resist. So i discovered Ebay. Woe is me.:(

I know the Spinny thing is a vortex but i am discovering this plane thing is another one. ;)

So i got sucked into the Plane vortex without much knowledge but it was all Chris Schwarz's fault.:rofl::rofl: He says in his book flatten the cup in your workbench with a plane and it feels better when you have someone else to blame dont it.:) He made me do it....thats what my sons always say.:D

Well I wanted to take the Ambassadors advice and did up to a point. :thumb:Looked up Patrick Blood and it got me started down a slipperly slope.:eek: Torn between the past and loyalty to my favorite Canadian "mens jewelry store" LV I found the excitement of the Ebay auction too much to withstand. :dunno:

Some of you will note my deleted post of yesterday in which i desperately tried to reach out to the "Brain Trust" here for advice on my purchase without trying to disclose the source but none was coming due to timing of my need. Hey I was down to 20 minutes in this auction.:eek:

So after being hooked with both line and sinker I fell for it and pulled the trigger.:p

Now, i have a LV Block Plane, and of course the great smoothing plane the Ambassador sent me, along with the handed down Stanley smoothing plane that my Dad gave me dating back to WW2 but none of these suites the honourable Mr Schwarz for flattening a workbench. Noooooo.:huh:

No he says in his book i need to get another one.:thumb:

So I sprung for a jointer. A real sweetheart.:D Yup a Stanley Sweetheart No7. Probably paid way too much for it but it was much less than getting a new one from LV and I thought traddition, recycling, collecting and recession and sentimental were all good words going through my mind at the time of the auction. :pDarn near lost it near the end of the auction. I had pipped the other bidder earlier on and he/she had gone away. Then i learned fast about an ebay auction.:eek: You need to stay live in those last minutes. At one point i lost it and had my screen to the forum open hoping someone would respond to my post and say forget it Rob its junk but that saving voice was not forthcoming. :(The urge to win superceded my sensibility and I succumbed to the delight of being the victor.:headbang::cool:
Now a day later i suffer from buyers remorse:(:(.:rofl::rofl:

Should i or should i as they say on TV YOU BE THE JUDGE.

So go ahead and answer my poll......what the heck you need as much knowledge of Planes as me and thats is none.:rofl:

Attachments

• !B,eG(TwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DwEjlLl)fO9BKrn5VYdGQ~~_3.jpg
    !B,eG(TwBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DwEjlLl)fO9BKrn5VYdGQ~~_3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
  • !B,eGKn!BWk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEqtC+i7rVBKrn4yEHIQ~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGKn!BWk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEqtC+i7rVBKrn4yEHIQ~~_3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 51
  • !B,eGMZwBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLlzEZJBKrn43G-ng~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGMZwBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLlzEZJBKrn43G-ng~~_3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 42
  • !B,eGNugBWk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEquRtMS7SBKrn468Y!Q~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGNugBWk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEquRtMS7SBKrn468Y!Q~~_3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 40
  • !B,eGPOgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-CoEquZ7NEfiBKrn4-0sFQ~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGPOgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-CoEquZ7NEfiBKrn4-0sFQ~~_3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
  • !B,eGQmwCGk~$(KGrHqEH-CcEquP)Kt8zBKrn5Cukog~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGQmwCGk~$(KGrHqEH-CcEquP)Kt8zBKrn5Cukog~~_3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 41
  • !B,eGRw!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKrn5G!pJQ~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGRw!BGk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBKrn5G!pJQ~~_3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 39
  • !B,eGTP!BWk~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLl0T+JBKrn5KLPRw~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGTP!BWk~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLl0T+JBKrn5KLPRw~~_3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 37
  • !B,eGYqQCGk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEqszl1WnFBKrn5ZHsL!~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGYqQCGk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEqszl1WnFBKrn5ZHsL!~~_3.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • !B,eGZ7w!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKrn5cmJdQ~~_3.jpg
    !B,eGZ7w!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKrn5cmJdQ~~_3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 36
Did not vote Rob. Don't know diddly about planes (or trains for that matter!!!:rofl:). Maybe will learn something on the 29th. Have a couple planes, probably junkers, but never got curlies from them.

You don't say what you paid, so good buy, or not, is unknown. Do you feel good about the plane, or not?

What you have there is a pretty nice example of Type 13 - a generally sought-after era in the Stanley history - manufactured between 1921 & 1922.

Walter's Stanley "guide" (1994 edition) puts the value (then) at ~ US$150.00 for a pristine example, which yours looks to be.

I have two #7's (neither as nice as yours) in my 'collection,' and I use them often. They're my "go to" jointers.

I voted "Yes" because you sure seem happy! :thumb:

Don't matter what "YOU" paid for it, if "YOU" are happy with the price, great!

I'd sure like to add one of those to my collection, but they very seldom come up on auction here in Japan, and when they do, the go for more than a NEW LV does, so that makes my choice simple :D

Looked up Patrick Blood ...

:rofl: Patrick Blood?

Rob, my first ever hand plane was from Pat Leach (who I think you mean, since he is the author of "Patricks' Blood and Gore") way back in '97. And I was totally satisfied with the quality of what he sold me.

But yeah, cheapie yard sale or flea market hand planes just don't seem to pop up around here like they do in the NE USA. I was in Mass back in '99 and managed to stop by Falcon-Wood and browse their store. I couldn't believe the number of handtools they had on display. Picked up a #7c jointer at the time.

But I confess, I don't use them as much as I used to. I've got a few more "tailed beasts" now that get a lot of use.

...art

I only have 2 planes a Stanley Block plane and a Jack. The both get used quite a bit. A little while back I had a Tundle table come into the shop for furb and the top was in sad shape. Normaly I take the top off and send em out to have them sanded on a wide bed but the way this table was made it wasn't possible. I looked at my belt sander and was prepared to use it when all of a sudden I looked on the wall and saw the jack sitting there. It made short work of the top. came out flat and smooth as a baby's bottom.

Didn't vote. Like do I know anything about planes?
Answer: No.
I follow the plane threads only out of a sense of wonderment that folks get so excited over them. :huh:

Aw come on now Frank you dont need knowledge to vote on this it wont hurt my feelings....just a bit of fun.:D

Did not vote Rob. Don't know diddly about planes (or trains for that matter!!!:rofl:). Maybe will learn something on the 29th. Have a couple planes, probably junkers, but never got curlies from them.

Whats this Jonathan a mini seminar in the offing at Larrys place on the 29th mmmmm this could be motivation to travel to MI. And hey like I said to Frank you dont need nuthing to be able to vote. I bought it without knowing nuthing so you certainly can vote in this one with the same credentials.:rofl:

You don't say what you paid, so good buy, or not, is unknown. Do you feel good about the plane, or not?

What you have there is a pretty nice example of Type 13 - a generally sought-after era in the Stanley history - manufactured between 1921 & 1922.

Walter's Stanley "guide" (1994 edition) puts the value (then) at ~ US$150.00 for a pristine example, which yours looks to be.

I have two #7's (neither as nice as yours) in my 'collection,' and I use them often. They're my "go to" jointers.

Now thanks Jim you are my new "Best Friend" cause i will spill the beans and tell you I paid all of $127 US for it. But the shipping pushed it up some more. I know I should add the shipping in but that depends on where one stays and hey we are a long way from the market here in Canada.:D So i guess this idiots buy was not bad based on your comments.

I voted "Yes" because you sure seem happy! :thumb:

Don't matter what "YOU" paid for it, if "YOU" are happy with the price, great!:D

Stu you read me correct.:) I am happy because i want to finish my workbench and this was stopping me from flattening it. Yeah i could have used my router but sentiment in me wanted to do the old way. At the time I felt the price was a bit high especially when i added in the shipping but what the heck i got two for one. I enjoyed the game of purchasing it and I hope to enjoy using it. I dont have a wide belt sander or a belt sander so this will be the tool of choice for flattening wide panels.

:rofl: Patrick Blood?

Rob, my first ever hand plane was from Pat Leach (who I think you mean, since he is the author of "Patricks' Blood and Gore") way back in '97. And I was totally satisfied with the quality of what he sold me.
...art

Yup Art you got the right guy. I read his site but wish i had called him at the time. Just my paranoia kicked in.:) I love the name he has for his site.

I only have 2 planes a Stanley Block plane and a Jack. The both get used quite a bit. A little while back I had a Tundle table come into the shop for furb and the top was in sad shape. Normaly I take the top off and send em out to have them sanded on a wide bed but the way this table was made it wasn't possible. I looked at my belt sander and was prepared to use it when all of a sudden I looked on the wall and saw the jack sitting there. It made short work of the top. came out flat and smooth as a baby's bottom.

Don I am hoping this baby will do the same for my workbench top.

Well I guess judging from the serious responses i got on this post, Planes are not something to be taken lightly on this forum.

I was expecting a little roasting here to celebrate this purchase. Maybe Tuesdays toooo early in the week to be light hearted but hey this is the way to live a long life and keep a positive mood.

I am just hoping this plane is what i need it to be. Will post pictures when i get the real thing. Being shipped today. Stand by for an update on it and its working on the bench.

Thanks for all the comments and the votes....if you aint voted please have a go the poll closes in 5 days :rofl::rofl: Then this will all be a piece of history just like the plane.:thumb:

Hi Rob.

I understand pretty well your feelings, and I stated mine some posts ago.

About two years ago I got a Bedrock nº 7, at ebay in much poor state than that one and I brought it back to life with success.

I've used it several times, and I've used it a lot on my seven drawer dresser, the only thing I can say is that moving that monster makes you sweat and build up biceps.
Make sure you wax the sole often when planing your bench.

And last but not least, PLANES ARE ADDICTIVE, and when they team with ebay even more.

Some days ago I bid 150$ out of desperation for a Bedrock 5 1/2 to regret it inmediately after, and to breath of relief when I didn't win the auction.

I have to keep on telling myself "I do not need more planes" but I like restoring them so I have to restrain myself, or I would go broke.

Extremely expensive ones are easy to say no to them, like holteys, sauer & steiner or even norris infills, but those which price is in between "cheap" and "expensive" are the worst to resist.

I voted "Maybe" because (1) I don't know the price and (2) because I know virtually nothing about planes. I have two planes in my shop. One is a block plane I've had for years and use in a variety of ways. The other is a very nice Veritas 5 1/4 that I won as First Prize in a juried exhibition. I've used it a couple of times just to try it out, otherwise it stays on the shelf.

Call me a power tool junkie or whatever. I get things done with modern tools for the most part. The "purists" out there who insist that they will continue to do things the way the masters did just don't get it. The "Masters" would have happily used today's tools if they had existed way back when. They weren't afraid of change and their creations spoke for their talent.

Last edited:
Like Stuart I voted yes, Just because you seemed so excited about it. I like it when everyone is happy :)

I don't know jack about planes. I have a small one, a medium one and a rabbet one. The small one gets used to hide my screwups. :rofl:

...Darn near lost it near the end of the auction. I had pipped the other bidder earlier on and he/she had gone away. Then i learned fast about an ebay auction.:eek: You need to stay live in those last minutes...

Google around for "auction sniping" and you'll find all sorts of sites that will do that last-minute bidding for you. I use Bidnapper, but there are lots of choices out there. Some folks consider it cheating, but I figure it's all part of the game these days.

... I follow the plane threads only out of a sense of wonderment that folks get so excited over them. :huh:

I'm guessing you've never actually used a well-tuned and sharpened plane? ;)

I voted yes - didn't have the heart to rain on your parade. That's a nice plane you picked up. I have found, though, that there is an inverse relationship between the planes i use the most and the more expensive ones in my fleet. For instance, my medium shoulder plane certainly wasn't cheap, and it's definitely not an everyday user. But when i need one, there's no substitute, and i use it more than enough to justify having it. My #7 doesn't get used more than a few times in a year.
Then, of course, there's the "fun to have it" rationalle. I find that that explains away a lot of not-so-practical buys.
Have fun with it. And Toni's right - better build up your forearms.
paulh

I voted Yes !

I think you did well regardless of the price. This is a lifetime investment in a quality tool. It is, as Jim said, an excellent vintage, the wood looks very nice and solid, lots of life left in the blade, most of the Jappanning is intact, no breaks or missing parts apparent. Hone that bad boy and make some shavings !:thumb:

And for those of you who know me as a turner, I will also confess to having more planes than I know what to do with.:wave: It's an addiction as powerful as turning:eek::D:thumb:

Thanks all for the comments and sharing in my fun and enjoyment of this purchase. :thumb:

Don you are right about addiction. This one aint arrived and i have already setup my eyes on another.:D With Vaughns secret weapon (Thanks again Vaughn) i might just have another in the fleet.

Curlies will be shown to all when they happen, my biscepts well thats another thing.:rolleyes: Will have to start on the weight machine my son has.:)

The way i look at the cost thing is yeah i probably could have should have etc but I could also die tomorrow crossing the road. Then all the could have should have are for naught.:D

I am amazed to find that many here dont know anything about planes though. I thought it was always a bit like flying. You dont go from school straight into a F18. First you have to learn the basics of flying, then graudate up the chain. I have seen some of the work that guys here have made and those same guys no names mentioned say they dont know anything about planes makes me ask the question did they finish all the fine work without reaching for a plane? Even a small block plane. I dont think i have done a thing where my block plane dont rear its head for a moment or two. But i suppose i make more mistakes than most here so its understandable.:D

Here is my 2 cents. If the plane is in good shape and no surprises you did alright. You didn't over pay and but I don't think you stole it either. I paid 60-70$ for mine and it is a lot of older, not as pretty, had a fair replacement handle and has a LOT more patina on it. But they were going for over a $100 when I bought mine. I jumped on mind for the price and the fact I wanted a user and didn't care about looks.

So FWIW I would gladly pay that if I need it.

Big question is you know how to sharpen it? If it can't shave hair, it isn't sharp. If makes a HUGE difference and planning a top (that's why I bought mine) is not a small project. So if you don't know how, learn to set it up and right and sharp and you will be wondering how you got by without it.

And I second snipping programs. I use Esnipe. I decide how bad I want it. Put in my max bid and walk off. Let it do it's job. If I loose it, someone wanted it worse than me. And it's darn near impossible to outbid a sniper if they want it bad enough.