Pendants

Jim Burr

Big one is Ambrosia Maple, little one is a Corian sample block. Both sanded to 600 and finished with Mylands. Enjoy!

Attachments

• pendants.jpg
    pendants.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 85
Jim, those look good! I like the accent cuts you did on the first one. How did you like turning the Corian? I have a box full of blanks here to use but have not tried any yet. Good job.

Tom

Thanks guys.
Bernie, those 2 are already gone. She has more planned for me tomorrow. I made a large and small sacrificial block, both out of walnut so I hope they last!

Tom, Corian is very easy, but very powdery. Sands well to 600. I used to use it on Bottle stoppers.

Tom, Corian is very easy, but very powdery. Sands well to 600. I used to use it on Bottle stoppers.

Unless they've changed its composition I remember making a project with corian when they first released it (about 25 years ago)and we had to use widia tools all the time, as it worn out normal steel tools in minutes.
A table saw blade would cut only a couple of times before having to be replaced.
I wonder if it is still like that:dunno:

Thanks guys.
Bernie, those 2 are already gone. She has more planned for me tomorrow. I made a large and small sacrificial block, both out of walnut so I hope they last!

Jim when turning wood I quit using the double sided tape. With the new backer plates I just screw the wood to it and turn the pendants. To me it just saves a step or two. I figured if your wife was like mine it wouldn't take very long. I have about a half dozen to make today.

Jim, I'm using the double sided "DUCK TAPE". It has a blue outer coating on it. I bought mine at Walmart for about $4-5 per roll. I still bring the tail stock up to hold the piece while I turn it down and shape it.......then I offset it. By then it is pretty well stuck. Then I can move the tail stock back and drill and accent the front.

Bernie....If you screw the piece to the plate...surely it doesn't have screw holes in the back of your finished piece does it???? Or are you cutting that away later???

My backer plate does have the 4 holes drilled for screwing the waste block to it but I then use double sided tape to hold the pendant blank to the waste block.

Tom

I found a good 2 sided carpet tape at Lowes. I do the same thing Tom, secure it with tape and use the tailstock for support. Speed for roughing is 1800 so far then I do the scary stuff at 500.

Bernie....If you screw the piece to the plate...surely it doesn't have screw holes in the back of your finished piece does it???? Or are you cutting that away later???

My backer plate does have the 4 holes drilled for screwing the waste block to it but I then use double sided tape to hold the pendant blank to the waste block.

Tom

Tom I have the new updated version. I use screws that are 1/2" long. I generally quit when I hit the 3/4" mark. Yea I mark it 3/4" from the plate so I don't get into the screws.