Small wood gloat....now what?

Tom Baugues

I answered an ad on Craigslist about a week ago from a lady who was having a Mulberry tree cut down and wanted to sell the wood. I e-mailed her and asked if I could buy just a couple of pieces of it for my "hobby". She said she would save me a couple pieces of it and let me know when it got cut down. Today I got a call that it was being cut down right now. I jumped in the truck to go get it. When I got there the lady told me that another guy that was going to buy it backed out and I could have all I wanted. I told her I did not have room for all of it so I gave her $10.00 and she was happy that I carried away what I did.

Now...I was there when they cut all this down. I was planning on using Anchorseal on the ends but the ends are actually wet to the touch. Do I apply it now anyway?

Attachments

• Mulberry wood 1.jpg
    Mulberry wood 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Mulberry wood 2.jpg
    Mulberry wood 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Mulberry wood 3.jpg
    Mulberry wood 3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 53
Tom, I believe so. Otherwise the loss of moisture at an uncontrolled rate is what will cause the checking/cracking. I would imagine it will stick to the wet wood otherwise it would be useless. When I get wood like that, I just stack it and the outside boiler doesn't seem to mind the cracks! :eek::rolleyes::D:rofl::rofl:

Yes, apply as promptly as possible.
Nice haul. Mulberry turns nice and finishes very nicely.
EDIT: BTW, if left as is it will still split on ends. If possible split the logs. But do Anchorseal ASAP anyway.

And you call that "small" ?.

What are you waiting for? toss'em on the lathe and start turning man!

You see....that's exactly what I should do....I just got done telling my wife that I have read on here before about guys that get wood like this and turn it all in a weekend.
I'm a slow learner, I guess.

I've been working on gathering parts to build my own hollowing rig. I actually have it about half done. Just a few more parts to get welded up. For now...I just need to preserve this wood for another day.