3-in-1 Crib/Bed

Dave Richards

The other day a guy on another forum asked how many board feet of lumber would be required to build this crib and bed from Wood Magazine. Since he hadn't gotten any replies, I found the plans online and spent the third half of car talk doodling this out so I could give him the number. He didn't believe the number I came up with so he used some calculator to enter the dimensions of each the pieces to calculate it. He came up with the same number I had. So to keep my time from being a waste, I'm sharing the sketch. If anyone is interested in the model I might even send it them with the caveat that it is a bit sloppy. :)

Did he not think the number was high enough or did he think it was too high? I wonder if he factored in waste :). At any rate, I for one always appreciate you sharing your talent and tips for Sketch Up. As you know I have been casually using it for some time. I watched your new video and learned something valuable in every section. My time to complete a drawing is greatly reduced by just picking up on the methods you use to accomplish simple tasks. Thanks again.

Thank you very much for the nice words, Glenn. I'm glad there was something useful in that video.

I don't know what he thought but he was skeptical of my number. Oh well, the work was done for him and he still had to do it himself. I won't make that mistake on that forum again, though. ;)

Thanks Brent.

I don't know that I'm especially fast. I've just figured out how to reuse components instead of drawing new ones. The short side rails on the toddler version of the bed are the same in section as the long rails on the full length bed so it was easy to use the Board Stretcher tool and make those long ones from the short ones.