I Had To Change The Cartridge in my SawStop Today......

Stuart Ablett

...... so I could use my Dado blade :D

I actually used it for the first time, as they originally shipped the wrong cartridge with my saw, and I had get it exchanged, but the company I bought the saw from in Canada, has since gone out of business :doh: the friend I had help me out in Canada, well he was able to get me a replacement, and he has one of the original SawStops, so the wrong cartridge for my saw, is the right one for his saw... :thumb:

The SawStop worked very well with the dado set, I do think I need to get it sharpened..... the dado set, not the SawStop... ;)

My youngest daughter, Mizuki, needs a bookcase, or shelf for her stuff, she had these old shelf things that we got somewhere, that were falling apart, and she wanted me to make her a new shelf, well, one thing had led to another, and I've still not made her the shelf, so she decided to light a fire under me by trashing the old shelves............

needs_a_boockcase.jpg
..... I think we can agree she needs a new shelf, or bookcase.... :D

Nothing too fancy, I was able to get some ready to go knotty pine for a reasonable price :rolleyes: and she was fine with that. Just standard through dado construction, with screws and glue holding it together.

edge_clean_up_leg_vice.jpg
The edges of the boards I got were not really what I'd call smooth, so I used my back bench with the legvice and the sliding deadman, as well as my new LN 62 to make them edges smooth! I also put a small chamfer on the edges to make them nice to touch.

dado_cheat_1.jpg
The back of the unit will be some 5.3mm (just under 1/4") thick nice plywood, and I'm making it so the back slides into a groove like a drawer bottom. To make the cut on the back of the top, I'd have to make a stop cut or use the router etc, well, I don't have a 5.3mm bit for the router, so I used the saw, but I had to go all the way through, but to hide this fact, I filled in the groove.

dado_cheat_2.jpg
Just a thin piece of wood, cut to size then planed to make it fit snug, glued in to the groove.

dado_cheat_3.jpg
Then parred off with the chisel and then planed flat and smooth with the hand plane, just about disappears :clap:

After that, I screwed and glued it all together......

mostly_done.jpg
looking not bad for an afternoon's work :dunno:

just_needs_back.jpg
I then added the front bottom piece to keep the dust bunnies at bay.

Now I need to cut the plywood and install that for the back. I think I'll do a final sanding and put some sanding sealer on it before I put the back on. The finish will just be some wipe on coloured poly.

Should have it done by Christmas, honestly, I don't know where I've been able to steal the time........ oh yeah, not sleeping much these days :coffee: :zzz:

Looks good Stu. You gonna plug those screw holes on the side?

I like the 1/4 inch ply idea for the back. All the commercial units use the thinest ply one can get and then in many cases the tilt support is attached to this thin ply held together with staples. Recipe for disaster if you ask me especially on a tall bookshelf or high set of draws. I suppose most of us that can use a tool have this "build it stout" mentality when we doing it ourself.

Since that bookshelf is going next to the bed now ya gotta get the turning going and make a lamp to go with it. Oh and what about a small draw under.......etc etc :rofl::D:thumb: oops and speaker mounts i almost forgot.:)

Just for interest sake could you shoot the Dado setup and cartridge for us to see. That is when you get a chance if you dont mind. I am fascinated by the whole Saw Stop thing.
So you use an ordinary Dado blade but i presume the cartridge is much heavier and wider given the mass of a turning Dado blade set. Boy just thinking of the stopping of say a full set at full revs that "brake" is gonna have a lot of work to do. Wonder what that cartridge costs to replace (in canada that is) would not even want to hear the cost in Japan given what they originally quoted you for the Saw.:eek:

Atleast she stacked and organized everything neatly when she got rid of it. Looks good! Are you going to plug the screws with something or just let them show? For something that you say needs to be sharpened those dados look very crisp and clean in the pictures.

Very nice Stu. Glad to see the daughters are keeping the economy and you working over there!!! So, the cartridge has to be removed for the dado stack due to width or length on the axle? Does this mean the sawstop does not have the sawstop capabilities with a dado stack being used?

Looks good Stu. You gonna plug those screw holes on the side?

I like the 1/4 inch ply idea for the back. All the commercial units use the thinest ply one can get and then in many cases the tilt support is attached to this thin ply held together with staples. Recipe for disaster if you ask me especially on a tall bookshelf or high set of draws. I suppose most of us that can use a tool have this "build it stout" mentality when we doing it ourself.

To some extent, yeah, build it stout, but within limits, I used to over build everything, and everything I build was "Clunky" no elegance to it. I'm not trying to build things that are well built, but also somewhat esthetically pleasing, or that is what I'm attempting to do :eek: I'll not cover the screw holes, the one side of the unit will be against the bed, the other in a corner near the closet. I may just use some wood putty to fill them in :dunno:

Rob Keeble said:
Since that bookshelf is going next to the bed now ya gotta get the turning going and make a lamp to go with it. Oh and what about a small draw under.......etc etc :rofl::D:thumb: oops and speaker mounts i almost forgot.:)

Nope, non of that, she has a light on her desk and one in the headboard of her bed, speakers are on the stereo and she has headphones too! :thumb:

Rob Keeble said:
Just for interest sake could you shoot the Dado setup and cartridge for us to see. That is when you get a chance if you dont mind. I am fascinated by the whole Saw Stop thing.
So you use an ordinary Dado blade but i presume the cartridge is much heavier and wider given the mass of a turning Dado blade set. Boy just thinking of the stopping of say a full set at full revs that "brake" is gonna have a lot of work to do. Wonder what that cartridge costs to replace (in canada that is) would not even want to hear the cost in Japan given what they originally quoted you for the Saw.:eek:

Yep, much larger, heavier and wider, it is build for an 8" dado set, which I have, took all of 3 minutes to swap the unit out. The Dado cartridge is about $110 cdn, the standard cartridge is about $83 cdn.

When I asked the Japanese importer they said about $300, and it would take three months to get, as they do not stock it, dado sets are not common here.

Cheers!

Very nice Stu. Glad to see the daughters are keeping the economy and you working over there!!! So, the cartridge has to be removed for the dado stack due to width or length on the axle? Does this mean the sawstop does not have the sawstop capabilities with a dado stack being used?

No, you change to a Dado Cartridge, which is larger and wider, to take in account the Dado blades are 8", not 10 like the regular blade. Without a cartridge installed, the saw will NOT run.

Cheers!

Atleast she stacked and organized everything neatly when she got rid of it. Looks good! Are you going to plug the screws with something or just let them show? For something that you say needs to be sharpened those dados look very crisp and clean in the pictures.

Yep, she is a good girl, we are lucky!

The shots are from far enough away to hide the Dados :eek:

After seeing Garrett Hack make super tight joints, I'm bumping up the shoulder plane on my list!:D

Cheers!

Just a thought about the screw holes. Depending on college choices, those shelves might fit in a dorm room and do double duty for you. Leaving the screw heads available might not be the most eye appealing, but be more user friendly so you can take it apart (if you leave out the glue) for transportation purposes. Just a thought.

Thanks on the answer, I thought I had read or knew it wouldn't run without the cartridge. Do you keep a moisture meter handy and use before running wood through it?

Just a thought about the screw holes. Depending on college choices, those shelves might fit in a dorm room and do double duty for you. Leaving the screw heads available might not be the most eye appealing, but be more user friendly so you can take it apart (if you leave out the glue) for transportation purposes. Just a thought.

Thanks on the answer, I thought I had read or knew it wouldn't run without the cartridge. Do you keep a moisture meter handy and use before running wood through it?

Any college she'd go to is over the Pacific ocean, so it will be left here at home :D

I do have a moisture meter handy, but for regular stuff, I have no worry, besides, if you want to know if a piece is too wet, you just touch it t the blade with the saw powered up, but on running, and if the green light on the control panel stays on you are good to go, if the red light blinks, you had better not hit the go button :D :eek:

Hey, cool, great idea on their red light green light solution. Hadn't heard a thing about that.

Well, we are about an hour away from Purdue University, if that becomes her college of choice, Lou Ann and I will do all we can to make it a comfortable stay and provide her a home away from home. And I do make that pledge seriously.

Nice quick project :thumb:

I'm curious, why are dados uncommon in Japan? Almost every project I build seems to have at least one.

They use a different tool, not the table saw,they have a saw that has a huge arbor on it, and these huge cutter go on, very industrial.

The whole DIY thing is just barely getting off the ground here.

I did a little searching..........

big_cutter_saw2.jpg big_cutter_saw1.jpg

This is the type of saw, yes, I guess it is a table saw, but not what we are used to. It takes a regular blade, but it also takes a cutter blade, the arbor is 1"

These are examples of the cutters, of various widths, they also come like moulding cutters with profiles on them.............

daiya_cutter.jpg daiya_cutter2.jpg daiya_cutter3.jpg daiya_cutter4.jpg daiya_cutter5.jpg daiya_cutter6.jpg

and if you really want to have some fun..........

Makita_groove_cutter.jpg Makita_groove_cutter2.jpg
..... the hand-held version, always a party favorite :eek:

Nothing too fancy, I was able to get some ready to go knotty pine for a reasonable price :rolleyes:

Okay, this is a nice looking shelf, Stu. But I'm really scratching my head :huh: as to why :dunno: you would go out and buy wood (nice price notwithstanding) when you could walk up the stairs and get some really nice wood from your roof stash for free!:stick:

At least, *I* usually start a project by "shopping" at my own stash. :wave:

...art

ps: Happy Christmas. And I'll echo Jonathan. I work at UWO in London, and assuming you and I are still on speaking terms by then :rofl: ... I'll welcome her to town if she chooses Western (um UWO = Western, to all those non-canucks). Of course, I'm sure that someplace like UBC is probably higher on the list.

ps: Happy Christmas. And I'll echo Jonathan. I work at UWO in London, and assuming you and I are still on speaking terms by then :rofl: ... I'll welcome her to town if she chooses Western (um UWO = Western, to all those non-canucks). Of course, I'm sure that someplace like UBC is probably higher on the list.

I always liked the campus at Simon Frasier University (at Burnaby Mountain). I remember checking it out during one of my numerous motorcycle trips around BC during the 70's.

Art, to answer you question, "Time" I could easily use the knotty pine and be done in a couple of days, the stash of Elm up on the rooftop would take a lot of prep time, which I don't have.

About my daughters going to another university, well, that will be up to them, but right now, there is a satellite campus for UBC in Kelowna, my hometown, where my parents still live, so that is sort of a no brainer by my books. :D

I do thank Art and Jonathan for their kind offers :thumb: