FORD Keys gripe

I may have posted this before... if so, SORRY!

We have two '08 Fords with 'integrated' keys (remote functions built-in... no separate fob). The keys are identical. How hard could it be for Ford to provide one black and one blue key with each vehicle? Or a key that's model specific? Or have an optional 'fancy' key that you can pay more for? I carry keys for both vehicles in my pocket all the time. They're really too big to keep on the same ring... so I'm constantly getting the wrong one out. And even if I DID have them on the same ring, I'd pick the wrong one half the time. Probably more than half since it irritates me!

It seems like such a simple thing... :dunno:

File a light notch on one of the keys plastic casings or mark the center of
one of the keys with dot of finger nail polish.

You could feel the notched key with your finger while it's in your pocket.

Attachments

• kp.jpg
    kp.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 19
  • knot.jpg
    knot.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Kirk,
The best I can do is have you send me one of your "08 cars to replace my "93 Dodge.
I can't imagine the mind torture that you must be going through having to deal with not just one, but two brand new vehicles.

I may have posted this before... if so, SORRY!

We have two '08 Fords with 'integrated' keys (remote functions built-in... no separate fob). The keys are identical. How hard could it be for Ford to provide one black and one blue key with each vehicle? Or a key that's model specific? Or have an optional 'fancy' key that you can pay more for? I carry keys for both vehicles in my pocket all the time. They're really too big to keep on the same ring... so I'm constantly getting the wrong one out. And even if I DID have them on the same ring, I'd pick the wrong one half the time. Probably more than half since it irritates me!

It seems like such a simple thing... :dunno:

Well, at least you've got "Real Keys".:D The LOML is out of town attending a work related class, and called from Austin tonight and related a Funny Tale. It seems that she and her Dept Head had a long weather delay before departure on their flight and were very hungry upon arrival. The motel they had been booked into was a real dump, so they had to find another one (which wasn't easy due to the Marathon there tomorrow), so she ran into the Motel and did a fast checkin for both of them, and they headed to Papadeaux's to eat, but found a 2 hr wait & went on to another place in a hurry.

After eating they went to the Dodge Minivan they had rented, (since the rental place had given away the car they were supposed to have due to their late arrival), and the other lady, (who was driving) suddenly said uh oh, I've lost the key.:eek: It must have come off the remote door opener. After looking everywhere for the key, they went back to the van to take a good look at the ignition switch to see if the key was still in the switch. It was then, they discovered that the little plastic triangle would fit into a slot in the ignition switch, and IT was the key.:doh: It would NOT, however work like a normal key to open the door though, in case the electronic remote malfunctioned. :dunno: I wonder how many dollars Dodge saves a year by not making Real Keys for the vehicles now? What will they think of to cheapen them next?

Anyhow, the LOML reported that although the "DAY" had Finally ended on a positive note, it had definitely NOT been one of their better Travel experiences. :rofl::rofl::rofl: At least they were laughing about it.:thumb:

I've seen replacement covers for the older style remotes that come in different colors and even artwork. Not sure if they have them for the integrated key ones yet. You could (assuming you didn't buy two cars the same color) buy a bottle of touch up paint and paint a dot on each the color of the car.

Or you could memorized the pattern on the key :D.

I've thought of doing that very thing... but that would take the beauty out of my rant! :eek:

I love a man who is honest about his need to rant. Kudos Kirk, I do the same thing. Now find that triangle file. I have also used small "buttons" of epoxy to identify things of this sort.

Hey Kirk I sometimes have a hard time in the dark telling 1 key from the other for my 30 year old Ford truck too.even though 1 key is round & the other isn't. Could I just borrow one of your new vehicles hmmmmmmm pretty please.:eek::wave::):D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• A1 myTruck 001.jpg
    A1 myTruck 001.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
This is a bit off topic, but I bought a new vehicle a while back and it came with a keyless ignition. Keyless is just the greatest thing!! My wife's car is older and uses a key and it feels so strange to have to dig for the key when getting into the car. It's so nice to just jump in the car turn the ignition on and go.

It's the little things that you do all the time that are important in conveniences.

Mike

My office Prius has the electronic key fob, which works to open doors and allow me to turn on the car with it still in my pocket. There is a slot for it to fit into the dash, but other than when it is at the dealership I don't leave it in the car. The system is intelligent enough that it yells at me when I get out of the car with it still running, which I do about 60 some odd times a day. I wish my truck and the wife's car had the same system, but then we'd be playing the 'which fob goes with which game too.

the only feature it doesn't have is remote start. Oh well... at least with the electric heat it warms up in a jiffy in the morning.

Yeah yeah... I know it's a minor thing. But it only took me about three seconds to wonder why they only made black keys. Hasn't anybody at Ford/GM/Chrysler wondered the same thing? :dunno:

I saw the little decorative cover thingies for the fobs, but they don't have any for the new keys yet. Soon as they DO, I'm gettin' me one.

I was also miffed that WalMart won't make an 'unlock the door' key anymore from these. Apparently they CAN make one, but have been told not to. :huh: